Nutrition Program Administration Specialist
Staff Specialist III Education
|Department||MSDE Office of School and Community Nutrition|
|Date Opened||3/13/2023 8:15:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/31/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$35.42 - $42.87/hour|
|HR Analyst||Holly Winchester|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
State Salary Grade 18
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building
200 W. Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
The main purpose of this contractual position is to administer federal child nutrition programs (CNPs) that are the responsibility of the Office of School and Community Nutrition Programs (OSCNP). The position will also provide technical assistance and guidance to agencies operating the CNPs in alignment with the office and departmental standards ensuring excellence, efficiency, and equity. The CNPs include the Child and Adult Care Food Program, Summer Food Service Program, Maryland Meals for Achievement, Special Milk Program, National School Lunch Program including the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program, and School Breakfast Program. The incumbent implements OSCNP initiatives to maximize and expand program participation while increasing the effectiveness of the programs for participating students, children, and adults. Ensures programs meet or exceed State and federal standards.
- Collaborate in development, assessment, and implementation of OSCNP and Program Administration Section goals and strategy.
- Interpret new and current laws, regulations, and guidelines; facilitate implementation by development and communication of policies, procedures, and other pertinent information to OSCNP, other MSDE divisions, agencies participating in the CNPs, government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and others as appropriate.
- Serve as OSCNP and Department liaison between public and private nonprofit agencies, and various community organizations to advance Program objectives.
- Review and process new and participating agency updates according to regulation and policy.
- Manage and monitor any assigned grants.
- Collaborate with OSCNP team to plan, develop and conduct training for new and participating agencies.
- Collaborate with compliance staff in conducting administrative reviews and lead corrective action process for agencies determined seriously deficient.
- Collaborate with Financial Management, Program Compliance, Professional Development and Performance, and Technology and Data Solutions Sections to evaluate program effectiveness.
- Coordinate OSCNP staff in planning and response to USDA Management Evaluations.
- Evaluate and analyze data reports, agency annual financial reports, and budgets in collaboration with appropriate OSCNP staff.
Education: A Master’s degree or at least 36 hours of equivalent post-baccalaureate course work from an accredited college or university in Health Science, Food Service Administration, Consumer Science, Dietetics, Nutrition, Public Health, Public/Business Administration, or a related area.
Experience: Three (3) years’ experience in nutrition program administration, coordination or management, or a related area; or a Registered Dietitian.
1. Candidates may substitute two additional years of experience as described above for the required education.
2. The above requirements are set by the Maryland State Department of Education in accordance with Education Article, Section 2-104, Annotated Code of Maryland.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Knowledge of federal laws and regulations governing food service and the USDA Child Nutrition Programs.
- Experience with managing, writing, or reviewing grants.
- Skill in developing and interpreting policies and procedures.
- Skill in analysis of data and identifying trends and associated risks.
- Skill in change management and the development of comprehensive action plans.
- Skill in organizing and developing resources for technical assistance and training of program participants.
- The ability to organize and manage multiple tasks.
- The ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Experience with constituent inquiries and preparing correspondences.
- The ability to work as a team member.
- Skill in organizing and managing projects with attention to detail.
- Knowledge of food safety, menu planning, food production and distribution.
Applicants are subject to a criminal background investigation in accordance with the federal Family Law Article, Section 5.5.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. The resulting list of eligible candidates will be in effect for at least one year.
This is a Contractual Position, and therefore not entitled to State Pension and Benefits packages.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
It is preferred that applicants complete the MD State Government online application for employment. The application must clearly demonstrate that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications for the position. If you are unable to apply online, paper applications can be obtained from the link below and mailed to MSDE Office of Human Resources, 200 W. Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. If there is a supplemental questionnaire, this must be completed and sent in with your paper application, if you are unable to apply online.
All application materials must be received in our office by the closing date. Postmarks will not be accepted. Applications must be complete to be considered including all related job duties, even if those are also listed on an attached resume. Additional required materials may be uploaded with the online application or mailed to the address listed.
Inquiries can be made to 410-767-0012, TDD 410-333-3045. Appropriate accommodations can be made for individuals with disabilities.
If you have difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850. TTY Users: Call via Maryland Relay.
Proof of eligibility to work is required in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act. Any misrepresentation of academic or experience requirements for this position may result in non-selection or termination of employment.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|