Planning and Budget Analyst **REPOST**
Program Manager IV
|Department||MSDE - Office of the State Superintendent|
|Date Opened||4/3/2023 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||6/23/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$94,113.00 - $127,637.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Christopher Langley|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
This is a Management Service position and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority.
**Repost, previous applicants do not need to reapply**
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Prepares monthly, interim, and on-demand financial reports and analysis and assists as needed to provide extensive, thorough, and accurate customer service and technical support to department stakeholders
- Participates in the preparation and development of MSDE’s annual operating budget plan and divisional exercises (i.e., zero-based budgeting; State Superintendent of Schools strategic plan performance routine sessions; etc.) and participates in the preparation and development of responses to legislative and other state agency requests
- Supports ongoing budget execution processes across MSDE to ensure budget spending in alignment with the department’s multiyear strategic plan priorities and Blueprint for Maryland’s Future initiatives spending plans
- Coordinates best practice guidance training, manuals, updates, and resources to budget staff across teams
- Supports the State Superintendent of Schools, Deputy Superintendent of Finance and Administration, and Assistant Superintendent of Financial Planning, Operations, and Strategy in the development and dissemination of communication to internal and external stakeholders in the form of presentations, memos, and reporting to support MSDE budget and related initiatives
- Implements department-wide budget database to support MSDE’s annual budget execution as well as continuous improvements to budget data systems
- Conducts data analysis and financial reporting related to internal research to inform resource allocation, ESSA, and other federal requirements, transparency initiatives, and public information requests
- Uses data and information from various systems and sources to diagnose budget-related challenges, recommend potential solutions, and implement solutions with cross-functional stakeholders Participates in the legislative fiscal note process.
- Reviews bill analyses, ensure timely submission of fiscal notes, assist with the review and analysis of cost estimates and fiscal notes for proposed legislation.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- State or local Government finance experience
- Experience in financial planning, budgeting, and policy analysis; Knowledge of performance budgeting concepts; Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in writing reports and making presentations on budget recommendations to senior departmental management and other executive branch officials
- Strong analytical abilities, including understanding of mathematical and statistical concepts
- Experience with word processing, spreadsheets and database software
- Ability to work independently, in teams and under pressure; Availability to work extended hours as required to meet budget deadlines
- Skill with either Microsoft Excel or R