Public Health Intern (Fall 2022)
MDH Public Health Workforce Development Internship Program
|Department||Maryland Department of Health|
|Date Opened||8/5/2022 6:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/19/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$16/hour (Undergraduate-level); $19/hour (Graduate-level)|
|HR Analyst||Sandi English|
The Maryland Department of Health (MDH) is excited to announce our inaugural MDH Public Health Workforce Development Internship Program that is expected to begin fall 2022. The purpose of the program is to form partnerships with academic institutions by creating student internship opportunities, and building a graduation-to-workforce pipeline that will bolster the public health workforce.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
The Public Health internship is perfect for a recent Public Health Program college graduate or current Public Health rising student junior/senior or graduate student looking to gain direct public health experience working within a local health department’s maternal and child health (MCH) program. You will gain valuable resume experience by building upon your public health foundational knowledge related to experience in public health communications, public health policy, program development/evaluation, epidemiological data collection/ analysis, disease surveillance/control and focus group/ survey design and management.
- Protect the public’s health
- Assure availability and access to quality health care services
- Promote individual and community responsibility for the prevention of disease, injury, and disability
- Assist with data collection and analysis
- Conduct community outreach as an ambassador for the local health department
- Assist with conducting focus groups
- Assist with providing health education
- Shadowing local MCH staff and leaders
- Link residents to care and services
- Assist with clinical operations (front desk and back office) to understand the impact of these services
- Build relationship with community and faith-based organizations
- Design effective written materials
- Suggest program improvements
Candidates must possess at least 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university with current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program. Applications are also open to recent graduates from an accredited college or university.
- Interest in Public Health Maternal and Child Health
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Recent public health program college graduate, enrolled junior/senior or graduate school student
- Compliance with Health Department vaccination requirements
- Willing to work onsite or within the community as assigned (office, outdoors, public locations, medical facilities and private domiciles or shelters)
- Cooperates with wearing PPE as directed
- Willing to participate in public health emergency operations as assigned.
- Interest in working with the LGBTQ community
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application (and supplemental questionnaire) may be submitted to MDH, Recruitment and Selection Division, 201 W. Preston St., Room 114-B, Baltimore, MD 21201. Paper application materials must be received by 5 pm, close of business, on the closing date for the recruitment, no postmarks will be accepted.
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If you are unable to upload, please fax the requested information to 410-333-5689. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the MDH Recruitment and Selection Division at 410-767-1251.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: 410-767-1251 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING
In one document, please upload a cover letter discussing your qualifications, background, and interest in the position, your resume, and transcripts from your most recent academic program. This document may be uploaded in the space designated for Transcripts under Attachments.