MSD School Administrator
High School Principal
|Department||MD School for Deaf - Frederick - Educational Svc.|
|Salary||$51,496.00 - $161,596.00/year|
The Maryland School for the Deaf (MSD) is a diverse, bilingual community who in partnership with families, provides an equitable and exemplary education in a nurturing, engaging and challenging environment to insure our students achieve personal excellence and become lifelong learners. As such, we are looking for dedicated individuals who can join us in the education of the children at MSD.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Maryland School for the Deaf – Frederick Campus
101 Clarke Place, Frederick, MD 21701
Main Purpose of Job
The purpose of this position is to organize and foster a positive, safe environment that is conducive to best meeting the needs of all students, staff and parents. This includes such responsibilities as: leading, directing, counseling, and supervising a variety of personnel and programs; creating effective parent, teacher, child communications; supporting, encouraging, mentoring, and evaluating staff; fostering teamwork between teachers and among staff and parents; and managing budget items.
- Maintain an environment that is physically and emotionally safe for students and staff.
- Implement and maintain practices that foster high expectations for learning.
- Maintain consistent discipline within the school.
- Assist in the hiring and orientation of new faculty.
- Observe and evaluate staff.
- Plan and direct meetings, staff development, training and in-service events.
- Coordinate, plan, implement, and evaluate the professional development of assigned personnel.
- Assist in orientation; counseling; discipline; due process; data gathering; student recognition; and securing student services with outside agencies.
- Monitor IEP implementation so in each class student’s needs are met and students’ goals are achieved.
- Assist teachers in formulating appropriate educational objectives, strategies and activities including review of IEPs and weekly unit and lesson plans.
- Track student progress and support struggling students and staff.
- Assist in the creation and improvement of the school’s master schedule.
- Manage state and local standardized testing to ensure compliance with established processes and policies.
Education: Master’s degree in Education of Deaf students, Education of Deaf students with additional disabilities or Special Education required.
Experience: Three years of successful classroom teaching experience with Deaf and Hard of Hearing students required. Must be fluent in American Sign Language and written English.
Superior interpersonal and active listening skills required.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Attentive to details and service oriented with good planning and organizing skills
Skilled in identifying problems and brainstorming potential solutions and able to work both independently and collaboratively.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
Must hold or be eligible to obtain the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) Administrator I certification in the required timeframe.
New hires are subject to a criminal background investigation at their own expense (Maryland Code, Family Law Article 1, Sections 5-560 – 5-568)