ASSISTANT MEDICAL EXAMINER, NON BOARD CERTIFIED
|Department||MDH Ofc of Chief Med Examiner|
|Date Opened||1/3/2022 3:09:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/30/2022 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$192,809.00 - $311,851.00/year|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Evaluates death scene information;
- Perform autopsies and prepares reports of postmortem examination and autopsies;
- Review medical records, police reports and the reports of the toxicologist as required to accurately determine the cause and manner of death;
- Answer inquiries from relatives and other interested parties, as to the cause and manner of death;
- Supervise the work of the assigned autopsy technicians;
- Attends and participates in daily departmental meetings;
- Collect evidence for law enforcement agencies during autopsy;
- Teach Fellows, visiting residents and medical students; and,
- Testifies in court and attends meetings (e.g. Child Fatality Review)
- Graduation from an accredited School of Medicine with a Doctor of Medicine Degree (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) or the international equivalent;
- Successful completion of an ACGME approved Forensic Fellowship program;
- Eligibility for medical licensure in the State of Maryland (Maryland licensure must be obtained prior to hire);
- Ability to obtain Board Certification in Forensic Pathology and Anatomic Pathology within 3 years of hire; and,
- Availability to be on 24-hour call two-three (2-3) times per month and to work one weekend per month.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Familiarity with specialized autopsy techniques;
- Skill in the use of a microscope and interpretation of histology findings, the use of transcription devices, autopsy equipment and photographic equipment;
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to complete case reports in a timely fashion;
- Excellent communication skills for both written and verbal communication with criminal prosecutors, defense attorneys, law-enforcement personnel, representatives from insurance companies, and next-of-kin, and must have a pronounced ability to maintain professional neutrality to all parties in a dispute or litigation;
- Ability to follow standardized techniques and procedures and be able to adapt and make independent decisions; and,
- Ability to function in fast paced environments.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
This is a Special Appointment position and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority. A resume must accompany your application.
Applicants who meet the minimum (and selective) qualifications will be included in further evaluation. The evaluation may be a rating of your application based on your education, training and experience as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related education, experience, dates and hours of work. Clearly indicate your college degree and major on your application, if applicable. For education obtained outside the U.S., any job offer will be contingent on the candidate providing an evaluation for equivalency by a foreign credential evaluation service prior to starting employment (and may be requested prior to interview).
Complete applications must be submitted by the closing date. Information submitted after this date will not be added.
Incorrect application forms will not be accepted.
Candidates may remain on the certified eligible list for a period of at least one year. The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application (and supplemental questionnaire) may be submitted to MDH, Recruitment and Selection Division, 201 W. Preston St., Room 114-B, Baltimore, MD 21201. Paper application materials must be received by 5 pm, close of business, on the closing date for the recruitment, no postmarks will be accepted.
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If you are unable to upload, please fax the requested information to 410-333-5689. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the MDH Recruitment and Selection Division at 410-767-1251.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: 410-767-1251 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.