Youth Reentry Specialist
|Department||OPD District Operations|
|Date Opened||8/25/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Janynee Covington|
As a State agency, Maryland Office of the Public Defender (MOPD) is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. MOPD is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or genetic information.
I Level ASTD9 $17.74 - $27.98 per hour
II Level ASTD10 $18.85 - $29.79 per hour
III Level ASTD11 $20.03 - $31.73 per hour
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Reentry Specialists are key members of the grant team. They provide support services to youth in Baltimore City who were arrested for handgun possession and have a case proceeding in juvenile court after being charged as an adult. This position is funded by a grant from the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention and is expected to run through at least September 2025.
- Collaborate with lawyers and social workers to develop and implement individualized service plans for each client.
- Help participants navigate social service systems in the community
- Provide ongoing support
- Assist with data collection and reporting
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Background and experience with children and young adults who are systems involved.
- Lived experience strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with Baltimore communities.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with project participants and other members of the grant team.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Candidates for positions in this classification must possess a current certification as a Peer Recovery Specialist within 12 months from date of hire from the Maryland Addictions Professional Certification Board (MAPCB) located at 10807 Falls Rd., #1376, Brooklandville, MD 21022.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
1. Employees in this classification who fail to obtain the required certification by the end of 24 months of continuous employment with the hiring department shall be subject to disciplinary action including demotion, suspension and dismissal.
2. Applicants for this classification must be in a state of recovery for 2 years from a substance use, mental health or co-occurring disorder before they can be qualified to be hired as a Peer Recovery Specialist, Certified.
3. Employees in this classification must complete any additional training that is deemed necessary and appropriate to maintain the required certification.
4. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing, in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulation 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. You may be required to complete a qualifications supplement, or the rating may be based on your application. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Report all experience and education that is related to this position. Applicants selected for interview will be required to complete a writing sample onsite during the interview process.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
Online applications preferred. Please fax all paper applications and questionnaires to (410) 333-2260.
Inquiries regarding applications and submitting paper applications can be directed to: Office of the Public Defender, Human Resources Division, 6 Saint Paul Street, Suite 1304, Baltimore, MD 21202; or by calling (410) 767-8500, toll free: 877-430-5187; TTY users call Maryland Relay Service 800-735-2258.
Please be sure to include your name, identification number (Easy ID#) and job announcement number on any documentation to ensure timely processing. A paper copy of the MD State application form and questionnaire can be downloaded from the link below.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.||Apply Online|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|