MSP FORENSIC SCIENTIST ADVANCED
|MSP - Field Operations Bureau
|11/28/2023 11:15:00 AM
|12/12/2023 11:59:00 PM
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biology, biochemistry, genetics, medical technology, pharmaceutical science, or related physical, natural or forensic science from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Five years of experience in comparative analysis or scientific evaluation of evidence including experience in providing testimony as an expert witness in moot or criminal court.
1. Candidates may substitute additional experience performing comparative analysis or scientific evaluation of evidence to include experience in providing expert testimony, on a year-for- year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute additional experience at another accredited crime laboratory performing equivalent work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master’s degree in the above physical, natural or forensic sciences from an accredited college or university may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Doctorate degree in the above physical, natural or forensic sciences from an accredited college or university for two years of the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
2. Candidates appointed to this classification must possess the certification or license required by the governing body of the forensic discipline associated with the job duties for the specific position. Specific information concerning the requirements and procedures of the applicable governing body can be obtained from the Human Resources office of the Maryland Department of State Police, 1201 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD 21208.
1. Employees in this classification are subject to call 24-in hours a day and, therefore, are required to provide the agency with a telephone number where they can be reached.
2. Employees in this classification are subject to random substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulation 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
3. In accordance with Public Safety Article, Section 2-204(b) (6) of the Annotated Code of Maryland, candidates for positions in this classification will be subject to an initial drug screening, a physical examination, submission of a DNA sample, and a complete criminal background investigation, to include a polygraph examination before permanent appointment can be made. A criminal conviction may be grounds for rejection of the candidate.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
applicants are limited to uploading one file. As a result, it is strongly urged
that those applying upload ALL required and additional documents (undergraduate
and graduate transcripts, resumes, etc.) as one file. If you are unable to apply
online, you may submit an application via mail. The Maryland State Application
Form can be found online.
required documentation and any required addendums may be mailed to:
Maryland State Police
Human Resources Division
/ Berlin Barrack
9758 Ocean Gateway
Berlin, MD 21811
ATTN: Robert Tanner
TTY Users: call via
As an equal opportunity
employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting
employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
It is the policy of the
Maryland State Police to comply with all applicable federal and state laws
prohibiting employment discrimination and to provide equal employment
opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to
age, ancestry, color, gender, identity and expression, genetic information,
marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race, religious
affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected
We thank our Veterans for
their service to our country and encourage them to apply.
If you have any questions
about this recruitment, please contact the Maryland State Police at