LOCATION OF POSITION
122 North Potomac Street Hagerstown, Maryland 21740
The Office of the Attorney General is seeking applicants for a Paralegal to provide support to the attorney who represents the Washington County Department of Social Services (WCDSS) and to assist the WCDSS child welfare and adult services supervisors and workers in filing legal petitions. The duties of this position include, but are not limited to, preparation of various legal documents and correspondence on routine legal issues, gathering information and preparing records, filing pleadings with the court, maintaining and coordinating hearing dates, uploading court documents, and legal research, all under the general supervision of the WCDSS attorney.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Experience: Three years of experience as a legal assistant or legal secretary performing legal research or preparing legal documents on behalf of an attorney.
Notes: 1. Thirty credit hours or a certificate in paralegal studies from an accredited college or university may be substituted for the required experience.
2. Thirty credit hours from an accredited law school may be substituted for the required experience.
3. Additional years of experience as stated above may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in paralegal specialist classifications or paralegal specialist specialty codes in the legal and kindred field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will have:
1. Experience/ working knowledge with Microsoft Office and database management systems.
2. Experience with electronic filing and Maryland Electronic Courts.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. . The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
Online applications are STRONGLY preferred.
If the online application process is not available, please send your paper application and supplemental questionnaire (if applicable) to: Yolanda Colkley, Fair Practices Officer, 200 St. Paul Place, Baltimore, MD 21202 or fax to 410-576-6447.
If you have specific questions about recruitment, please call 410-576-6440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. md. us.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.