NATURAL RESOURCES BIOLOGIST V
Tidal Black Bass Manager
|Department||DNR - Fisheries Service|
|Date Opened||11/6/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/21/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$64,828.00 - $104,555.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Emilee Knott|
This is a position specific recruitment for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Fishing and Boating Service. This recruitment will be used to fill current vacancies for the position and may be used to fill future vacancies in the same classification/function. Future vacancies may also be filled via other recruitments. The resulting eligible list will be maintained for one year.
LOCATION OF POSITION
580 Taylor Avenue, Annapolis, MD (Anne Arundel County)
Main Purpose of Job
The Department of Natural Resources, Fishing and Boating Services, is currently accepting applications for Natural Resources Biologist V to serve as The Tidal Black Bass Program Manager.
The main purpose of the position is to manage black bass (largemouth and smallmouth bass) fisheries across Maryland’s tidal estuaries by applying statistically robust science to surveys and engaging stakeholders with results. This position is the authority for tidal water black bass management in Maryland. This position also entails performing data analysis for other projects within the Freshwater Fisheries Program and engaging stakeholders (when appropriate) who are not affiliated with tidal black bass fisheries. Data management and analysis includes, but is not limited to, assisting with development of GIFS and spatial databases, population and habitat assessment, developing monitoring indices for streams, management of tournament creel and creel survey data sets, and the formulation of regulations to protect and enhance these resources. This position also includes critical evaluation of survey or database management methodologies for various projects within Freshwater Fisheries and, where appropriate, presentation of improved methods for achieving objectives. This position is the authority for tidal water black bass management in Maryland and serves as the DNR representative to the Black Bass Advisory Committee. The products of this position contribute directly to DNR’s mission.
Experience: Four years of professional experience conducting research and analysis in the fields of biology, biochemistry, environmental science, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology, physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management or zoology and six years of experience in performing professional biological work in the field of natural resources management.
1. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Bachelor’s degree in biology, environmental aquaculture, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology or physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management, zoology, or a natural resources management related field of study from an accredited college or university and six years of experience in performing professional biological work in the field of natural resources management for the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute graduate education beyond a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a natural resources related field of study as described above at the rate of 15 graduate credit hours for one year of experience for up to two years of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the wildlife biology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced degree (Masters or Doctoral Degree) in Fisheries Science/Fishery Management
- A minimum of two years of the above experience must be in Fisheries Science/Fisheries Management
- Two years of experience working directly with black bass
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your minimum qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates may be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
Your application is part of the examination process. The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of this position. The rating will be based on the information provided on your application. Therefore, it is important you provide all the experience and education related to this position completely and accurately.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
The online application is strongly preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account, need to make adjustments to a submitted application or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management at Application.Help@maryland.gov ; ATTN: Recruitment and Examination Division
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Emilee Knott at Emilee.Knott@maryland.gov.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.