|Department||Maryland Department of the Environment|
|Date Opened||8/9/2023 3:53:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/1/2024 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$53,627.00 - $85,951.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Tammy Lewis|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Learns to collect and prepare water and soil samples using sampling gear and scientific measuring equipment.
- Learns to gather and compile data from geological, geophysical, and hydrological field investigations as well as from other types of environmental sampling for assigned sites or geographical areas.
- Learns to accurately identify and describe the physical and geochemical characteristics of samples.
- Learns to interpret geological maps that define environmental contamination, reflect particular geological features or formations and identify water sources.
- Learns to use conventional and global positioning satellite (GPS) surveying techniques to accurately locate sample sites, stream and well monitoring sites and sinkholes.
- Learns relevant State laws and regulations and how to apply them to environmental and public health safety problems and issues.
- Learns to prepare reports, sampling plans and various graphical displays according to established agency formats and scientific criteria.
- Learns to maintain project files to include all pertinent documentation and makes files available for review by agency personnel and the public.
- Learns to perform duties such as monitoring well drilling operations, siting new public water supply wells in areas safe from potential sources of contaminants, delineating wellhead protection areas for public water supply wells, and making vulnerability assessments for public water supply systems when assigned to an environmental program at the Maryland Department of the Environment.
- May learn to prepare maps to digitally represent geological features and formations using the United States Geological Survey guidelines and cartographic standards for geologic map symbolization.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Geology, Environmental Geology or a related earth science.
Note: Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience at a rank of Corporal/Petty Officer or higher as a commissioned officer in physical science classification or physical science specialty codes in the geology field of work on a year-for- year basis for the required education.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
2. When assigned to an environmental program at the Maryland Department of the Environment, employees in this classification may be required to successfully complete and maintain certification as specified in the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration Regulations (Standards-29 CFR) 1910.120 Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response. Information about these regulations is available in the Human Resources Office of the Maryland Department of the Environment or may be obtained at the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration Website.
1. Employees in this classification may be required to walk over rough or unstable terrain or over long distances while wearing personal protection equipment such as respiratory protection equipment.
2. Employees in this classification may be subject to ongoing medical testing in accordance with the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration Regulations (Standards - 29 CFR) 1910.120 Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response.
3. Employees in this classification may be subject to call-in on a twenty-four hour basis and, therefore, will be required to provide the employing agency with a telephone number where they can be reached.
STATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITS (Click ctrl+link to view all benefits)
PERSONAL LEAVE - New State employees are awarded six (6) personal leave days annually (prorated based on start date)
ANNUAL LEAVE - ten (10) days of accumulated annual leave per year.
SICK LEAVE – fifteen (15) days of accumulated sick leave per year.
PARENTAL LEAVE – up to sixty (60) days of paid parental leave upon the birth or adoption of a child.
HOLIDAYS – State employees also celebrate at least twelve (12) holidays per year.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be submitted to MDE, Recruitment and Selection Division, 1800 Washington Blvd., Baltimore MD 21230. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted.
If additional information is required, the preferred method is to upload. If you are unable to upload, please email the requested information to Olivia Finley at Olivia.email@example.com. Only additional materials that are required will be accepted for this recruitment. All additional information must be received by the closing date and time. Please reference #23-001028-0006.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Olivia Finley at 410-537-3100. If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
This is a specific position for the Maryland Department of the Environment. The resulting certified eligible list will be maintained for one year. Persons interested in future vacancies within this classification must re-apply.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: 410-537-3130 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.||Apply Online|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|