Project Forester (Eastern Region) *REPOST*
|Department||DNR - Forest Service|
|Date Opened||8/14/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/5/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Courtney Blackistone|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Education: A Bachelor of Science degree in forestry from a school of forestry accredited by the Society of American Foresters.
1. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master of Science degree approved by the State Board of Foresters for the required Bachelor’s degree.
2. The education requirement is pursuant to Business Occupations and Professions Article, Sections 7-206 and 7-304 of the Annotated Code of Maryland.
3. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in the natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the forestry field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with forestry data collection and forest management plan preparation
- Experience using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), specifically ArcGIS software
- Experience with reforestation or afforestation projects
- Experience with wildland fire suppression and prescribed burning
- Experience with operating different types of equipment and machinery. (Power tools such as chainsaw, pole saw, leaf blower & large machinery such as skid steers, tractors, bulldozers, and/or heavy trucks)
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs, specifically Word and Excel
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification are subject to call-in and, therefore, are required to submit a telephone number where they can be reached in case of forest fire emergencies.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
*Should benefits be available, this information will be discussed at the time of hire
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.||Apply Online|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|