GIS Analyst III
|Maryland Department of Emergency Management - A
|11/29/2023 2:30:00 PM
|12/13/2023 11:59:00 PM
The Maryland Department of Emergency Management (MDEM) is looking for a diligent, detail-oriented individual who is excited about making Maryland a safer place to live and work by joining our Risk Analysis team and performing real-time, forward-looking risk analysis for all hazards.
MDEM’s mission is to proactively reduce disaster risks and reliably manage consequences through collaborative work with Maryland’s communities and partners. MDEM is the department of State government with primary responsibility and authority for emergency preparedness policy, and for coordinating hazard mitigation, incident response, and disaster recovery. MDEM is a national leader in Emergency Management that provides Maryland residents, organizations, and emergency management partners with expert information, programmatic activities, and leadership in the delivery of financial, technical, and physical resources “to shape a resilient Maryland where communities thrive.” We do this by being Maryland's designated source of official risk reduction and consequence management information.
NOTE: This position operates within an on-call rotating schedule according to assignment within the State Emergency Operations Center (SEOC) to attend to all emergencies on a statewide 24/7 basis. This may involve working 12 hour shifts extended periods of time in support of 24 hour consequence management activities.
LOCATION OF POSITION
The Maryland Department of Emergency Management is the agency of State government with primary responsibility and authority for emergency preparedness policy, and for coordinating hazard mitigation, incident response, and disaster recovery. MDEM works to ensure that all Marylanders are prepared, and to make Maryland more resilient.
This position reports to the MDEM Risk and Recovery Branch Manager and is responsible for supporting a variety of emergency management projects across a spectrum of subject areas. As an emergency management specialist the individual completes specific components of an overall project and completes tasks assigned by an emergency management project manager and emergency management project lead. This position serves in a support capacity in emergency management programs.
This position serves on a team that implements MDEM’s comprehensive incident risk analysis program during consequence management operations, including for response and recovery. The Risk Analyst reports to the Risk and Recovery Manager within the Disaster Risk Reduction Directorate.
Hazard and incident risk analysis occurs before, during, and after disasters. This position develops and implements a risk analysis program to inform decision-makers throughout emergency response and recovery. This includes conducting ongoing analysis of risks that are currently or could affect Maryland and publishing products that can be used to inform planning efforts, such as hazard risk profiles and GIS products. Analysts must ensure that risk analysis occurs before, during, and after incidents on a 24/7/365 basis and develop products and situation reports that can be used to inform planning and operational decision making.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, this position requires strong communication, presentation, organizational, and writing skills.
Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and update Geographic Information Systems (GIS) products and models that integrate, analyze, and visualize variable risk factors
- Provide incident analysis during consequence management operations, including for response and recovery
- Conduct ongoing analysis of the risk for all hazards that currently or could affect Maryland
- Develop products that can be used to inform planning efforts
- Perform statistical analysis of complex datasets
- Develop and manage a variety of databases using internal, external, and open-source data
- Manage web-based reporting platforms
- Support the National Capital and Baltimore Regions by providing analysis and data
- Support and participate in workgroups, Disaster Risk Reduction Directorate, and Agency initiatives and programs, and Statewide activities
- Emergency and Disaster response and recovery operations as needed and/or assigned by agency Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director, Directors,
Education: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university including 30 credit hours in Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Economics, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Planning, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, or Information Technology.
Experience: Two years of experience in geospatial analysis.
1. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university accompanied by a Geographic Information Systems Professional Certificate (GISP) from The GIS Certification Institute for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master's degree from an accredited college or university in the specified educational fields for one year of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute the possession of an additional Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in the specified educational fields for an additional year of the required experience.
4. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Doctorate degree from an accredited college or university in the specified educational fields for the required experience.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Logistics, Architect, Geospatial Intelligence Analyst, or Cryptologic classifications or Logistics, Architect specialty codes in the Architect field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred knowledge, skills, and abilities. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Experience with the principles, practices, and objectives of data analysis or geographic information systems.
- Experience with methods and procedures of data acquisition and production related to land use, demographics, hydrology, weather and climatology, environment,
- Experience in emergency management, risk analysis, intelligence, or a related field.
- Skill in performing analytical methodologies in support of Agency programs, through the use of statistical and/or geographic information system tools.
- Skill in using GIS applications, Microsoft Excel, other database software, and generally accepted programming languages for data analysis and reporting.
- Skill in GIS systems design or web mapping application development.
- Skill in performing routine data acquisition, data production, and data analysis tasks.
- Ability to work independently on Agency projects.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative in projects relating to Agency objectives.
- Ability to prepare and present findings and recommendations in clear, concise reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, interagency colleagues, and customers.
- Ability to solve problems, think critically and analytically, visualize data, develop products, and communicate clearly and effectively.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be submitted to: Maryland Department of Emergency Management, 5401 Rue Saint Lo Drive, Reisterstown, MD 21136. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please call 410-702-3714.
MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.