ASSESSOR I, COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL
|Department||DAT Real Property Valuation|
|Date Opened||1/17/2023 4:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/31/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$55,975.00 - $62,494 year -with the potential growth to $86,450.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Shernikia Dennis|
LOCATION OF POSITION
State Department Of Assessments and Taxation
Montgomery County Assessments Office
30 West Gude Drive, Suite 400
Rockville, MD 20850
Main Purpose of Job
Inspects commercial and industrial property to determine the appraisal value;
Analyzes sales papers, existing market data, and applies appraisal procedures in order to determine the value of land or buildings;
Prepares, presents and defends determination of commercial value at all levels of the appeal process;
Determines costs to be added or eliminated, such as, but not limited to: taxes, insurance, maintenance, rental income and management costs;
Reviews financial reports, profit and loss statements, tax returns and other cost data in order to adjust appraisal values;
Consults with the Assessor Manager, Real Property or other administrators and specialists to determine assessment methods and procedures and to elicit evaluation opinions;
Contacts owners of property, corporate tax representatives, attorneys and accountants to obtain access to property, to gather data for the appraisal or to review the findings of the assessment.
Experience: Seven years of appraisal experience estimating the value of real property performed in accordance with the provisions of the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice Code and completion of the International Association of Assessing Officers Courses 101, 102 and 300 or equivalent courses approved by the Department of Assessments and Taxation.
1. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, completion of the International Association of Assessing Officers Courses 101, 102 and 300 or equivalent courses approved by the Department of Assessments and Taxation and three years of experience estimating the value of real property performed in accordance with the provisions of the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice Code for the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in tax examining classification or tax examining specialty codes in the accounting and budget group field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Experience in the valuation of real property and/or commercial and industrial properties.
Relevant coursework (i.e., Income Approach to valuation; Mass Appraisal; Real Estate; Business; Mathematics etc.).
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
Must be willing to work in Montgomery County.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be required to have daily use of a motor vehicle while on official State business. Standard mileage allowance will be paid for use of a privately owned vehicle.
2. Upon appointment to positions, employees in this classification that possess a real estate broker or sales license, or a license to sell insurance, will be required to put the license in an “inactive” status.
3. Employees in this classification are prohibited from participating in any outside activity, including private appraisals, which may be deemed a conflict of interest by the Director of the Department of Assessments and Taxation.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be submitted to: Department of Assessments and Taxation, Office of Human Resources Division, 300 W. Preston St., Room 511, Baltimore, MD 21201. Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the Department of Assessments and Taxation at 410-767-1140, MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.