ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST III
Guaranteed Access Grant Program Specialist
|Department||Maryland Higher Education Commission|
|Date Opened||2/2/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/22/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$43,660 - $54,229 progressing to $66,668|
|HR Analyst||Cheryl Murphy|
LOCATION OF POSITION
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following activities:
- This position serves as a lead to the administration of designated financial assistance programs on a daily basis. State financial assistance programs are created by legislation, and assigned to the Maryland Higher Education Commission/Office of Student Financial Assistance for regulation.
- Analyzes and processes a variety of documents related to determining program eligibility for grants and scholarships. This may include such documents as applications, enrollment certification, high school transcripts, and other supporting documentation. Performs verification on selected files according to established rules and regulations outlined under Title IV financial aid. Analysis and processing must be in compliance with State law and Commission policies.
- Administers certain state assistance programs to include determining annual allocations for post-secondary institutions and complete internal and external annual reconciliation processes.
- Responsible for fielding calls and responding to e-mails from students, parents, and post-secondary institutions as they relate to more than 20 state-funded student financial assistance programs.
- Reviews appeal requests, and makes determinations regarding the outcome and provides timely responses to students regarding appeal decisions.
- Maintains on-line student records by updating inquiry and applicant files, inputting and verifying awards, and making changes based on the students’ eligibility.
- Responsible for performing award calculations and processes award letters ensuring the financial assistance award is posted to the correct institution.
- Respond to a high-volume and fast-paced operational setting that requires attention to detail and excellent customer service skills.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Experience: Three years of experience performing administrative staff, clerical, clerical technical, or secretarial work.
1. Candidates may substitute 30 college credit hours from an accredited college or university for each year of the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer involving staff work requiring regular use of independent judgment and analysis in applying and interpreting rules and regulations in accordance with agency laws and policies on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
2. Two years of financial aid experience with a strong background in verification.
3. Two years experience managing projects with deadlines, and working collaboratively as part of a team.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may mail a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to:
Department of Budget and Management
Recruitment and Examination Division
301 W. Preston Street, Room 608
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.A without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).