Seasonal Hourly Shift
Natural Resources Technician (Deep Creek Lake Management)
|Department||DNR - Maryland Park Service - State Wide Operation|
|Date Opened||1/11/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||5/1/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Emilee Knott|
Full-Time vacancies available
* Returning staff for the 2023-2024 season will receive an additional $0.25/hour
LOCATION OF POSITION
898 State Park Rd, Swanton, MD 21561 (Garrett County)
Main Purpose of Job
A Natural Resources Technician I is the entry level of technical biological work assisting Biologists in the management of natural resources. Employees in this classification receive close supervision from a Natural Resources Biologist, Natural Resources Manager, Forestry Manager or other designated administrator. Some aspects of the work, such as the handling of wildlife, working aboard a boat or working in the area of a forest fire, are considered hazardous. Employees will be required to wear protective clothing and equipment when the need arises. Work is performed indoors and outdoors under various weather conditions. Applicants must be available to work weekends, evenings and holidays as scheduled.
Duties may vary and generally include, but are not limited to:
- Capture, measure, band and release wildlife, including fish, using various nets, lures, traps and cannon nets
- Collect technical data or research information from various resource user sources, such as game checking stations, fishing access locations, etc.
- Identify and collect basic forest data, such as timber volume, topographical features, species and population of trees, timber stands, disease and insect damage, or potential fire conditions
- Identify and collect basic water quality data, such as temperature, pH level, flow, depth and width measurements and habitat data, such as forest type, age or class distribution
- Operate various types of equipment to control terrestrial and aquatic vegetation and clear land or plant crops for use as wildlife food and cover
- Identify tree diseases and predators and prescribe the proper treatment to prevent tree destruction
- Carry out fish culture procedures to produce adequate supplies of fish
- Fill and maintain fish-rearing ponds, raceways and tanks
- Maintain and repair equipment, blinds, nest boxes and facilities
- Assist higher level professional staff in developing natural resource management plans
- Assist in conducting inventories of game and fish populations
- Assist in or supervises forest fire prevention activities and operations
- Assist higher level staff in providing assistance to landowners in regard to wildlife habitat improvement, nuisance wildlife management and best management practices
- Assist with presentations to various public or private civic and recreational groups
- May maintain records on work activities and prepare basic reports
- May compute costs for materials and equipment usage or requisition, procure and take inventories of supplies
- May clean and maintain field and laboratory equipment
- May lead, train or supervise seasonal employees and lower level technicians conducting research and inventory activities and implementing natural resources management plans
- Applicants must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Work can be physical in nature, requiring the ability to walk and stand for long periods of time, lift and carry heavy objects, do repetitive bending and stooping, climb ladders and operate heavy equipment
Experience: Two years of experience performing technical biological work in the field of forestry, arboriculture, wildlife, aquaculture, natural resources management, or fisheries.
1. Candidates may substitute the completion of 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university; 18 credit hours must be in biology, biochemistry, environmental science, forest technology, arboriculture, aquaculture, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology, physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management, zoology, or a natural resources management related field of study for the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in the natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the biological science technician field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of natural resources conservation and management principles and practices;
- Ability to follow instructions;
- Ability to use or operate tools, equipment and machines;
- Ability to perform field assignments and related office work with the other employees;
- Ability to participate in special research projects and investigations;
- Ability to communicate effectively.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle, UTV or golf cart. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland and five points or fewer on their current driving record.
Applicants selected for employment may undergo an employment background investigation, including, but not limited to: employment reference check, education verification, driving record check (if the position requires employees to drive a vehicle) and a criminal history check including fingerprinting.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered for this position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Report all education and experience related to the essential functions of this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
*Should benefits be available, this information will be discussed at the time of hire
The online application is strongly preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Emilee Knott at Emilee.Knott@maryland.gov.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|