Seasonal Hourly Shift
|Department||DNR - Maryland Park Service - State Wide Operation|
|Date Opened||1/11/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||5/1/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Emilee Knott|
Full-Time and Part-Time vacancies available
*Returning staff for the 2023-2024 season will receive an additional $0.25/hour
LOCATION OF POSITION
Vacancies for this position are currently located at the following locations:
- Dans Mountain State Park (Allegany County)
- Rocky Gap State Park (Allegany County)
- Sideling Hill Creek State Park (Allegany County)
- Patapsco Valley State Park (Anne Arundel County)
- Fair Hill NMRA (Cecil County)
- Bohemia River State Park (Cecil County)
- Elk Neck State Park (Cecil County)
- Bill Burton (Dorchester County)
- Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad State Park (Dorchester County)
- Cunningham Falls State Park (Frederick County)
- Gambrill State Park (Frederick County)
- New Germany State Park (Garrett County)
- Herrington Manor State Park (Garrett County)
- Deep Creek Lake State Park (Garrett County)
- Gunpowder Falls State Park (Harford/Baltimore County)
- Rocks State Park (Harford County)
- Susquehanna State Park (Cecil/Harford County)
- Seneca Creek State Park (Montgomery County)
- Southern Maryland Recreational Complex (Prince George's County/Anne Arundel County/Charles County/Calvert County) If interested in any of these locations, please select 'Southern Maryland Recreational Complex (Prince George's County)' below
- Tuckahoe State Park Complex (Queen Anne's County) including: Martinak State Park (Caroline County), Wye Island NMRA (Queen Anne's County), Sassafras NMRA (Kent County) and Cypress Branch State Park (Kent County) If interested in any of these locations, please select ''Tuckahoe State Park Complex (Queen Anne's County)' below
- Janes Island State Park (Somerset County)
- Point Lookout (St. Mary's County)
- Fort Frederick State Park (Washington County)
- Greenbrier (Washington County)
- Washington Monument State Park (Washington County)
- Pocomoke River State Park (Worchester County)
- Assateague State Park (Worchester County)
Main Purpose of Job
A Seasonal Park Ranger is a temporary, introductory level of work in the operation of a State Park. Work is performed indoors and outdoors under various weather conditions. Applicants must be available to work weekends, evenings and holidays as scheduled. Applicants must be available to work weekends, evenings and holidays as scheduled. Part-time or full-time work is available.
Duties generally include, but are not limited to:
- Provide visitors with park information and regulations
- Monitor and cleaning of State buildings, bathhouses, campgrounds and restrooms
- General maintenance of park trails, public facilities, staff buildings and DNR vessels and vehicles
- Monitor (via motorized vehicles, bicycles and on foot) recreational activities in the park, including but not limited to biking, fishing, hiking and hunting
- Serve as daily Duty Ranger to provide oversight to all aspects of park operations in some settings
- Use of a computer and point-of-sale system to register campers, complete reports and sell park merchandise
- Respond to emergencies, including first aid and traffic direction
- May assist with the development and presentation of interpretive and environmental education programs
- May hike trails of varying difficulty to perform trail maintenance
- Applicants must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Work can be physical in nature, requiring the ability to walk and stand for long periods of time, lift and carry heavy objects, do repetitive bending and stooping, climb ladders and operate heavy equipment
Must have at least 40 hours of customer relations, park operations, environmental education, and/or interpretation experience as indicated on application. Qualifying experience includes but is not limited to professional or volunteer experience in park operations, education/instruction, communications, retail, hospitality, service industry, administrative, or similar fields.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to bilingual applicants, who are strongly encouraged to apply.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle, UTV or golf cart. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland and five points or fewer on their current driving record.
Applicants selected for employment may undergo an employment background investigation, including, but not limited to: employment reference check, education verification, driving record check (if the position requires employees to drive a vehicle) and a criminal history check including fingerprinting.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered for this position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Report all education and experience related to the essential functions of this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
*Should benefits be available, this information will be discussed at the time of hire
The online application is strongly preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Emilee Knott at Emilee.Knott@maryland.gov.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|