Seasonal Hourly Shift
Lifeguard Lead Lake/Pool/Point Lookout
|Department||DNR - Maryland Park Service - State Wide Operation|
|Date Opened||1/17/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||5/1/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Emilee Knott|
*Returning staff for the 2023-2024 season will receive an additional $0.25/hour
LOCATION OF POSITION
Vacancies for this position are currently located at the following locations:
- Dans Mountain State Park (Allegany County)
- Rocky Gap State Park (Allegany County)
- Cunningham Falls State Park (Frederick County)
- Gambrill State Park (Frederick County)
- New Germany State Park (Garrett County)
- Point Lookout (St. Mary's County)
- Greenbrier (Washington County)
- Pocomoke River State Park (Worchester County)
Main Purpose of Job
The Lake/Pool/Point Lookout Lifeguard is responsible for ensuring visitors have a safe and enjoyable recreational experience. Work is performed primarily outdoors under various weather conditions. Applicants must be available to work weekends, evenings and holidays as scheduled.
Duties generally include, but are not limited to:
- Provide safe water-based recreation for park patrons
- Provide visitors with information and park regulations
- Maintain the beach area and/or pool facility, to include trash and litter removal
- Provide emergency care Prepare written reports
- Participate in daily or weekly skills trainings, which may include daily physical training, swimming and skills testing
- Prepare and lead training exercises and programs
- Responsible for scheduling guards to ensure adequate coverage of swim areas
- Oversee beach area and/or pool area and equipment, including conducting regular inspections
- Assist with mentoring and providing feedback to other lifeguards
- Keep detailed records of lifeguard actions and attendance figures
- Applicants must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Work can be physical in nature, requiring the ability to walk and stand for long periods of time, lift and carry heavy objects, do repetitive bending and stooping, and climb ladders
Qualifying candidates must meet the following:
- Must be currently certified or previously certified by a national agency in Lifeguard Training, First Aid and CPR, as well as pass a physical evaluation, swim test and written test (upload certificates). Candidates may be recertified after hire, however continued employment is contingent upon re-certification prior to May 1; and
- Must have at least two (2) months of lifeguarding experience as indicated on application.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants that are certified as a Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor (LGI) or Water Safety Instructor (WSI). In pool settings, preference will be given to applicants certified as a Pool and Spa Operator by an entity approved by Maryland Department of Health and the county in which work will be performed.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle, UTV or golf cart. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland and five points or fewer on their current driving record.
Employees in this classification must be currently certified by a national agency in Lifeguard Training, First Aid and CPR. Candidates may be certified after hire, however continued employment is contingent upon certification prior to May 1.
Applicants selected for employment may undergo an employment background investigation, including, but not limited to: employment reference check, education verification, driving record check (if the position requires employees to drive a vehicle) and a criminal history check including fingerprinting.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered for this position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Report all education and experience related to the essential functions of this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
*Should benefits be available, this information will be discussed at the time of hire
The online application is strongly preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Emilee Knott at Emilee.Knott@maryland.gov.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|