Seasonal Marshbird Survey Field Technician
Three (3) Full time Vacancies
CONTRACT PERIOD: April - August 2023
LOCATION OF POSITION
580 Taylor Ave., Annapolis MD
The Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife & Heritage Service in Annapolis, Maryland is currently accepting applications for three Seasonal Contractual positions. The Maryland Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife & Heritage Service seeks three highly motivated individuals to assist with marshbird monitoring primarily in the Chesapeake Bay and Coastal Bay regions. This work will involve pre-dawn surveys using an established call playback method. Work will also include placement of Automated Recording Units and call screening and identification from collected recordings. Duties will also include private landowner contacts and data entry and management. Occasional weekend work, long field days, and overnight travel may be necessary. Start date is negotiable.
Completion of sixty credit hours from an accredited college or university, 18 of which are in biology, biochemistry, environmental science, forest technology, arboriculture, aquaculture, natural science, natural resources management, botany, marine biology, marine ecology, physical oceanography, ichthyology, fisheries management, wildlife management, zoology, or a natural resources management related field of study.
Experience: Two years of experience in technical biological work in the field of natural resources management.
- Additional experience performing technical biological work in the field of forestry, arboriculture, wildlife, aquaculture, natural resources management, or fisheries may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
- Additional education beyond sixty credit hours from an accredited college or university in a natural resources related field of study can be substituted for the required experience on a year-for-year basis for up to two years of experience.
- Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in the natural resources management and biological sciences classifications or natural resources management and biological sciences specialty codes in the biological science technician field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent bird identification skills and the ability to identify by sight and sound all potentially occurring secretive marshbirds and associated bird species in Maryland.
- Prior bird survey experience.
- Experience with ArcMap, Microsoft Access and Excel, GPS units.
- Experience with data collection using Survey123and eBird.
- Experience with Automated Recording Units, including set-up, maintenance, and use of software for call screening and identification.
- A strong work ethic, good problem-solving skills, and the ability to work well independently and in a small team in remote areas with minimal supervision.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Persons in this position may be assigned duties which require the operation of an automobile or other motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess the appropriate operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
Occasional weekend work, long field days, and overnight travel may be necessary
Please make sure you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not accept information submitted after this date. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered for this position. Therefore, it is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Report all education and experience related to the essential functions and qualifications of this position.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must be provided prior to hire.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
*Should benefits be available, this information will be discussed at the time of hire
The online application is strongly preferred. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit a paper application and supplemental questionnaire to: Department of Natural Resources, Human Resources, 580 Taylor Avenue, C-3 Annapolis, MD 21401. The Human Resources unit is not responsible for applications sent to any other address.
Faxed or e-mailed applications will not be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the application.
If you are having difficulty with your user account, need to make adjustments to a submitted application or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management at Application.Help@maryland.gov ; ATTN: Recruitment and Examination Division
Inquiries regarding this recruitment can be directed to Courtney Blackistone at email@example.com.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
Candidates with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply. As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.