AUTOMOTIVE SERVICES SPECIALIST
|Department||MSP - Support Services Bureau|
|Date Opened||3/15/2023 3:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||4/15/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$41,068.00 - $62,525.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Kirsten Clouse|
It is important that all experience be fully documented. Failure to ANSWER ALL SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS SPECIFICALLY AND ACCURATELY may cause the candidate to be rejected.
PLEASE FILL OUT THE APPLICATION COMPLETELY.
➢ The application is part of the examination process. Your answers will determine your eligibility to participate in the next phase of the selection process.
➢ Clearly describe your qualifications in detail. Credit cannot be given for education, training, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities that you fail to indicate.
➢ Do not leave any answer spaces blank; if a question does not apply, write "N/A".
➢ Although you may attach a resume to further describe your qualification, it does not substitute for completing the application form. An incomplete application form may result in disqualification. Do NOT write "see resume" in your work history or responses to supplemental questions.
➢ Failure to comply with these instructions may result in disqualification.
➢ Read the Job Announcement carefully for specific filing instructions, supplemental questions, and final filing dates.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Department of Maryland State Police
Motor Vehicle Division
7749 Washington Blvd.
Jessup, MD 20794
The position functions as a Police Pursuit Vehicle Specialist and is responsible for the repair and maintenance of all Police Pursuit vehicles owned by the Maryland State Police, State Fire Marshal's Office and Vehicle Theft Prevention Council. This position maintains vehicles which will at any given time; have to exceed twice the posted speed limit, in all weather and road conditions. Tis position ensures the safe and reliable operating condition of all Police Pursuit vehicles. The safety of the Trooper as well as the motoring public traveling the Maryland roadways is critical.
- Replace, repair or rebuild components on MSP vehicles and schedule preventative maintenance.
- Diagnose and repair mechanical/electrical malfunctions. Properly install, repair or replace electrical police equipment such as emergency lights, sirens and shotgun racks within time limits.
- Road test vehicles to insure the safe operating condition.
- Perform minor welding work, cutting torch work and operate a drill press.
- Operate all computer scan tools, to diagnose repairs.
- Prepare necessary paperwork on completed repairs.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisory or Command personnel.
Education: Completion of the eighth grade.
Experience: Three years of experience servicing, maintaining and repairing motor vehicles or equipment, one year of which must have involved responsibility for performing major automotive repair work.
1. Graduation from an accredited vocational/technical high school with a major in automotive mechanics, or a related field, may be substituted for up to three years of the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Mechanic classifications or Automotive Maintenance Technician and Vehicle Maintenance specialty codes in the Mechanic or Maintenance field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
1) Three years of experience in auto / light truck experience working in the field for dealers or private repair shops.
2) Current or previous experience completing major repairs to engines, brakes, suspension and electrical systems.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
1. Employees in this classification are subject to random substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulation 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
2. In accordance with Section 2-204 (b) (6) of the Public Safety Article, candidates will be subject to an initial drug screening, a physical examination and a complete criminal background investigation to include a polygraph examination before permanent appointment can be made. A criminal conviction may be grounds for rejection of the candidate.
Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be considered for this classification. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment Eligible List categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED and QUALIFIED and remain eligible for consideration for at least one year from the date of examination. The list will be used by the hiring manager to select employees.
The examination will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. You may be required to complete a qualifications supplement, or the rating may be based on your application. Report all experience and education that is related to this position. Applicants may be given a physical examination and will be subject to an interview, background investigation, polygraph examination and substance abuse testing.
NOTE: Currently, applicants are limited to uploading one file. As a result, it is strongly urged that those applying upload ALL required and additional documents (undergraduate and graduate transcripts, resumes, etc.) as one file. If you are unable to apply online, you may submit an application via mail. The Maryland State Application Form can be found online.
Completed applications, required documentation and any required addendums may be mailed to:
Maryland State Police - Human Resources Division
1201 Reisterstown Road
Pikesville, Maryland 21208
ATTN: Kirsten Clouse
It is the policy of the Maryland State Police to comply with all applicable federal and state laws prohibiting employment discrimination and to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, gender, identity and expression, genetic information, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, race religious affiliation, belief or opinion, sex, sexual orientation or any other protected status.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|