DGS STATIONARY ENGINEER
|Department||DGS Office of Facilities Management|
|Date Opened||4/21/2023 09:45:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||6/9/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$95,450 - $105,072/year (based on agency authority, qualifications and State salary rules)|
|HR Analyst||Tammy Vehstedt|
The Maryland Department of General Services (DGS) supports State and local government agencies, as well as local non-profit organizations and the citizens of Maryland, by providing facilities management, real estate and surplus property services, as well as security and law enforcement for State buildings. DGS is also responsible for a full spectrum of facilities engineering, design and construction services, almost $1 billion in annual contract administration, and overseeing the State procurement process. Here at DGS, we truly Do Great Service… Consider joining our team!
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to operate main power plant and auxiliary mechanical rooms in a State Office Complex to ensure proper quality temperature control of approximately twenty-three buildings, which could require repairing and adjusting of various heating and air conditioning equipment. The power plant operates 24/7, therefore the incumbent may be required to work various shifts, weekends and/or holidays.
This is an emergency essential position subject to emergency release procedures. Employees in this position must be willing and available for duty at all hours, day or night, and are required to remain or report for duty at all hours as needed to maintain the continuous operation of this agency.
If you are the selected candidate for this position, you will be required to complete a Pre-Employment Physical, which will assess your ability to safely perform the essential functions of this position.
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
- Operating and maintaining boilers, chillers, pumps, motor, valves and piping.
- Performing Emergency Management System (by computer) to receive maximum energy savings while insuring optimum temperature controls around the Annapolis State Office complex.
- Run water temperature program (boilers, cooling towers, closed loop systems) for the Annapolis State Office Complex.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as required.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a State high school equivalency certificate.
Experience: Three years of experience as a Stationary Engineer 1st Grade.
1. Candidates may substitute additional experience up to four years as licensed first-grade engineer on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in Utilitiesman classifications or Maintenance Supervisor, Maintenance Mechanic, or Utilities Chief specialty codes in the Equipment Maintenance field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification must possess and maintain a current license as a Stationary Engineer, 1st Grade from the State Board of Stationary Engineers.
1. Some positions in this classification are assigned duties which will require the candidates to be examined by a Physician. After an offer of employment, candidates for such positions will be given a medical examination to certify the ability to perform the essential job functions.
2. Employees in this classification are subject to random substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulation 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Include all experience and education that is related to this position. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week; you must include the time spent on such activities on your application.
Note that for any position requiring a college degree or college credit, you will be required to submit a college transcript prior to being offered a position. You may submit your transcript as part of the application process.
The examination for this position will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring authority to select employees for interviews. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
Please note, selected candidates may be required to complete and successfully pass a State and Federal fingerprint background check prior to being hired.
You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
The State of Maryland offers a generous benefits package that includes:
- Tuition reimbursement for those who qualify;
- Flexible work schedules and telework opportunities for many positions;
- Free mass transit in Baltimore & Annapolis;
- Generous paid leave that increases with years of service;
- Paid holidays;
- Health coverage with low out-of-pocket costs;
- Employee & employer contributory pension plan.
Click on the link below for more information.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-767-4986 with questions about this recruitment. The on-line application process is STRONGLY preferred. Apply online at www.dgs.maryland.gov – click on Employment on the left side of the screen. If you are unable to submit your application online, please send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Suite 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201 by the closing date and time. TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.