POLICE OFFICER II
|Department||DGS Maryland Capitol Police|
|Date Opened||11/6/2023 11:51:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||12/7/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$55,983.00 - $87,295.00/year (based on agency authority, qualifications and State salary rules)|
|HR Analyst||Mojisola Ogungbe|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Enforces laws, rules, and regulations governing the protection of personnel and State property.
- Directs vehicular traffic, enforces parking regulations, and investigates accidents, and issues warnings and citations.
- Prepares clear, concise, and accurate incident reports in accordance with agency directives and standard operating procedures.
- Investigates criminal acts to resolve and/or prosecute criminal activity.
- Makes arrests and testifies in court.
- Renders emergency and/or first aid to sick or injured persons. Stabilizes injured persons prior to ambulance response.
- Responds to disturbances, emergencies, suspicious persons, and suspicious activities.
- Other functions may be required that enable this agency to fulfill its overall governmental mission to provide law enforcement and physical security to the Department of General Services owned and managed properties.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or high school equivalency certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Experience: Six months of experience as a certified law enforcement officer.
1. The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission in accordance with the Public Safety Article, Section 3-207, Annotated Code of Maryland.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience at a rank of Corporal/Petty Officer or higher as a non-commissioned officer in Protective Service classifications or Law Enforcement specialty codes in the Military Police Officer field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding all qualifications.
- At least two years of experience as a Certified Law Enforcement Officer in Maryland.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Candidates for positions in this classification must possess a Police Officer certification as required by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission at the time of application.
2. Applicants for this classification, formerly certified by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission as a Police Officer within the past three years and are eligible for recertification at the time of appointment, meet the certification requirement for this classification. The recertification criteria are listed in the Code of Maryland Regulations 12.04.01.07, available at the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission.
3. Employees in this classification may be required to possess or obtain a special police commission in accordance with Public Safety Article, Section 3-209, Annotated Code of Maryland.
1. Selection standards for Police Officer certification are established by theMaryland Police and Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Public Safety Article, Section 3-207, Annotated Code of Maryland. These selection criteria are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations 12.04.01.04 and include the following:
Must be at least 21 years of age
Satisfactory background investigation, including a check of criminal history
Possession of a driver's license valid in the State of Maryland.
2. Employees in this classification are subject to call-in and, therefore, will be required to provide the employer with a phone number where they can be reached.
3. Employees in this classification may be required to bear firearms and to demonstrate practical knowledge and proficiency in the safe use and care of firearms on a periodic basis as required by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission.
4. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing inaccordance with Code of Maryland Regulations 17.04.09, Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please include all experience and education that is related to this position. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date; information submitted after the closing date will not be considered. Credit is given for relevant part-time, temporary or volunteer experience based on the number of hours worked per week; you must include the time spent on such activities on your application.
Note that for any position requiring a college degree or college credit, you will be required to submit a college transcript prior to being offered a position. You may submit your transcript as part of the application process.
The examination for this position will consist of a rating of your education, training and experience related to the requirements of the position. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment eligibility list categorized as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED. The eligibility list will be valid for one year and may be extended. The list will be used by the hiring authority to select employees for interviews. Eligible lists may be used to fill future vacancies of the same classification.
You MUST possess the minimum qualifications before you may be selected for a State job – verification will be completed upon hire. If you are scheduled to complete an educational or licensing requirement within six months of being placed on the eligibility list, you may participate in the selection process. Permanent State employees may also complete necessary experience requirements within six months of the date of being placed on an eligibility list.
Please note, selected candidates may be required to complete and successfully pass a State and Federal fingerprint background check prior to being hired.
You must be legally authorized under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act to be hired in the position for which you apply.
The State of Maryland offers a generous benefits package that includes:
- Tuition reimbursement for those who qualify
- Flexible work schedules and telework opportunities for many positions
- Free mass transit in Baltimore & Annapolis
- Generous paid leave that increases with years of service
- Paid holidays
- Health coverage with low out-of-pocket costs
- Employee & employer contributory pension plan
Click on the link below for more information.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.||Apply Online|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|