Reimagine a career in public service. At WCC, we are collaborative and team oriented, innovative in our approach, and passionate about our work. We thrive on initiative, creativity and challenges to the status quo. Our employees are valued and empowered. We are proud of our achievements and consider excellence a continuous journey…not a destination end point. If you've got the right stuff: solid .NET Framework 4.x+ software development skills and a passion for your work, come journey with us.
The Maryland Workers' Compensation Commission seeks to secure the equitable and timely administration of the provisions of the Maryland Workers' Compensation law on behalf of its customer, the injured workers and their employers, by providing an efficient forum for the resolution of individual claims.
The Workers' Compensation Commission envisions a state wherein injured workers and employers are empowered to create an equitable partnership to facilitate prompt and fair resolution of workers' compensation matters.
Together we profoundly touch the lives of so many people and have enormous responsibility to the community by fulfilling our mission of securing equitable and timely administration of the law. The Commission continues to provide services to our constituent partners at a level rarely met throughout the United States. The professionalism, work ethic, and technological acumen manifest in our operations allows us to smoothly and effectively manage the challenges which invariably arise. Every division within the agency plays a vital role in keeping us in the forefront nationally...ARE YOU READY TO MAKE A MEANINGFUL DIFFERENCE IN YOUR COMMUNITY AND PURSUE YOUR CAREER PASSION WITH A NATIONALLY RECOGNIZED LEADER?
LOCATION OF POSITION
10 E. Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
Main Purpose of Job
The HelpDesk Network/Hardware Technician provides direct technical assistance and support for our onsite PC workstations, notebook PCs and other network attached hardware utilizing security best practices, current trends and Commission policies and procedures. The HelpDesk Network/Hardware Technician manages and resolves internal and external stakeholders’ Helpdesk requests via email, telephone and in-person, in tandem with our HelpDesk, development and systems/networking teams.
The State of Maryland Workers' Compensation Commission is
currently seeking a creative and energetic
HelpDesk Network/Hardware Technician to join our team to provide direct
technical assistance and support for our internal and external customers utilizing
security best practices, current trends and the Commission's policies and procedures. HelpDesk Network/Hardware Technician is the full performance level of work
planning, integrating and maintaining software and hardware for local or wide
area computer networks to include operating systems and network communications
software\hardware. Our HelpDesk team
and the Network/Hardware Technician manage and resolve requests for assistance via
email, telephone and in-person. HelpDesk partners directly with our development
and systems/networking units to achieve these goals.
ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong customer focus and the ability to
deliver effective technology solutions to our diverse customers, such as:
respond to internal and external customer's requests for assistance timely and
appropriately, researching and resolving each effectively via the various
routine updates and changes on computer workstations, software and various
Install/modify/upgrade/troubleshoot computer PC workstations, notebooks,
servers and various other network connected hardware and software
hardware/software activities with vendors, 3rd parties and
online/telephonic support as needed
remote and in-person training classes as required to maintain current knowledge
of custom, COTS and other deployed software
maintain accurate hardware and software inventories, research and recommend
technical solutions and procurement
other related duties as assigned
Qualified candidates MUST have the following experience and/or education:
Experience: Two years and six months of experience, one year of experience planning, integrating and maintaining software and hardware for local or wide area computer networks and an additional eighteen months of experience converting data from project specifications by preparing program code using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools; planning, installing and maintaining data communications network lines and devices; or evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software.
1. Candidates may substitute graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate and fifteen credit hours from an accredited college or university in systems analysis and applications programming using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools for the additional eighteen months of the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate and completion of a certification program in Network Administration, such as Certified Novell Administrator (CNA), Microsoft Certified Product Specialist NT 4.0 Administrator or equivalent certification program for the additional eighteen months of the required experience.
3. Candidates may substitute experience in one of the following areas on a year-for-year basis for graduation from an accredited a high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate: operating computer systems, scheduling, controlling input and output or maintaining backups or data storage, processing data on computer systems, evaluating, implementing and maintaining computer hardware and software or converting data from project specifications by developing programs using generally accepted computer programming languages or other developmental tools.
4. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Bachelor's degree in computer information technology, management information systems, or other information technology related field, including course work in local or wide area computer networks, from an accredited college or university and one year of experience planning, integrating and maintaining software and hardware for local or wide area computer networks for the required experience.
5. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Network Analyst classifications or Network Integration and Management specialty codes in the Information Technology field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
Qualified candidates MUST have the following experience:
1 year of experience installing, managing and/or repairing network attached devices and peripherals such as PCs, network printers, scanners, copiers, etc. in a modern Microsoft Windows/Microsoft 365 business environment.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
The following are desired or preferred qualifications for this position:
• 5 years in the information technology field or experience working on an enterprise helpdesk
• Knowledge of and experience with TCP/IP networks, Active Directory, Group Policy and Windows permissions
• Certification, training and/or experience in:
o MCITP –Microsoft Certified IT Professional (Windows 10)
o MCDST –Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician
o Comp TIA A+ or Comp TIA Network+
• Working knowledge of contemporary ( Windows 10/11) operating systems, Microsoft 365, Teams, contemporary web browsers and other standard Windows desktop applications
• Experience installing and managing contemporary Windows PC/Server network attached hardware and related software
• Working knowledge of networking technologies and protocols: Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, HTTPS, SFTP, and TCP/IP.
• Knowledge of best practices for network and device security such as encryption.
• Knowledge of the principles and methods of exceptional customer service.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be subject to call-in 24 hours a day and, therefore, may be required to provide the employing agency with a telephone number where the employee can be reached.
Employee may be required to be on-call or occasionally or asked to work outside of normal work hours or on weekends for production emergencies as well as planned system upgrades and therefore required to provide the agency with a telephone number or other mutually agreeable contact method where the employee can be reached.
Employee may be required to drive to Agency Regional Site locations and must have a valid Driver's License.
Applications will be evaluated based on the materials submitted in relation to the above position responsibilities and requirements. Therefore, it is important to provide complete and accurate information. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date.
Successful candidates will be ranked as BEST QUALIFIED, BETTER QUALIFIED, or QUALIFIED and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year.
If you are unable to apply online, or encounter difficulty attaching documentation, you may submit via mail or deliver in person. Please be sure to include your name, identification number (Easy ID#) and job announcement number (22-004413-0004) on any documentation to ensure timely processing.
PLEASE DO NOT FAX OR EMAIL UNSOLICITED DOCUMENTATION
Please include your resume and supplemental questions along with your completed employment application.
Completed application, supplemental questionnaire, and supportive documentation, may be mailed to:
MD Workers' Compensation Commission
Attn: Personnel Department 7th floor
10 E. Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
For information regarding this recruitment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact 410-864-5230.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay