Director of Information Technology Operations
IT Assistant Director III
|MSDE - Office of Information Technology - History
|1/25/2023 12:00:00 PM
|2/8/2023 11:59:00 PM
|$82,399.00 - $127,637.00/year
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
*** Promotional opportunity for MSDE Employees only. ***
State Salary Grade 22
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Manages partnership between the Department of Information Technology (DoIT) Help Desk team and MSDE OIT
- Supports work related to building and auditing MS-22s, hiring processes, in-house OIT policies, and consultants and contractors.
- Collaborates with CIO on presentations and submissions for the State’s DoIT Portfolio Review meetings of major information technology projects, information technology projects requests, and submissions of mid-year and year-end project reports for the Department of Legislative Services.
- Supports the work related to MSDE’s strategic technology initiatives and ensures each project is aligned to proper funding.
- Builds OIT fiscal year budget, spending plans based on identified budget categories, and oversee major IT project expenses and creates weekly FMIS reports to ensure OIT budget is aligned with approved spending plans
- Ensures OIT bills are paid on time and work closely with DoIT Financial Services to audit state service allocations.
- Collaborates with MSDE Budget Analyst to forecast the department IT expenses built on identified initiatives .
- Works with Divisions across the agency to ensure DoIT invoices are accurate and are paid on time.
- Analyze OIT’s budget for cost savings opportunities.
- Collaborates with OIT IT Partner and MSDE Procurement Partners to analyze the OIT’s partnership with DoIT and makes recommendations to CIO on services that need to be enhanced, either by DoIT, MSDE or a third-party vendor.
- Assists with building procurement documents across the Department to ensure best practices are applied.
- Support OIT Partners with the contract renewals and maintenance ensuring products and services are obtained in a timely manner.
- Candidates may substitute additional experience in the management of IT technical staff and IT projects on a year-to-year basis for the required education.
- Candidates may substitute up to two years of the “Experience” requirement listed above with a graduate level degree in computer science, electrical systems, cybersecurity or related field from an accredited college or university.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Please include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of information technology systems management.
- Knowledge of information technology services, trends, technical requirements, and staged implementation.
- Knowledge of assessing and analyzing user requirements, providing user solutions and IT product life cycles
- Knowledge of a wide range of software, applications, and methods for evaluating and satisfying user requirements.
- Skill in identifying user needs, mitigating user problems, and implementing creative resolution.
- Skill in managing multiple tasks and interpreting, summarizing, and presenting information.
- Skill in directing projects and working with customers.
- Skill analyzing and formulating feasible recommendations regarding technology solutions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, a variety of customers, and vendor representatives.
- Ability to develop and prepare technical specifications.
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgment in making decisions.