The Maryland Department of General Services (DGS) is responsible for almost $1 billion in annual contract administration, 6.3 million square-feet of State-owned facilities, and 4.6 million square-feet of leased space. DGS supports State and local government agencies by providing a full spectrum of design and construction, facilities operations, security, procurement, real estate, and surplus property services.
LOCATION OF POSITION
This position is available in the Fiscal Services Division for the Department of General Services (DGS) with the General Accounting Unit; located at 301 W. Preston Street, Baltimore, MD 21201.
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to is the maintenance of accounts payable for all programs/subprograms within the Department of General Services consisting of an annual general operating budget of $85 million for a total budget of $125 million which includes General, Special, Federal and Reimbursable Funds.
This is a contractual (hourly) position with an end date of June 30, 2023.
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
• Entering, posting, recording and executing payments using State Procurement and the State Accounting systems by capturing appropriate data from various approved source documents.
• Research discrepancies in account balances by retrieving and examining original chronological records to design reports to correct miscalculations or posting errors.
• Summarizing numerical data using computer programs, adding machines or calculators for development, to update and implement financial records reports to be used by other fiscal staff.
• Supporting in year-end close by providing accrued data by providing documentation to accrue an unpaid portion of contracts, verifying correct AY is charged on invoices received in July, and calculating the portion applicable to each AY for invoices crossing years.
• Reviewing the status of purchase orders and closing or rolling forward after consulting with the fiscal support staff for each subprogram.
• Performing other related duties assigned by the Accounts Payable Supervisor, the Deputy Director and the Director.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Experience: One year of experience reconciling agency accounting systems to fiscal control systems or developing automated spreadsheets, ledgers and reports using accounting software packages or identifying budget trends and recommending budget realignments.
1. Candidates may substitute experience calculating and recording financial, statistical or other numerical data may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience in Financial Clerical/Finance Technicians classifications or specialty codes in the financial field of work at a rate of one year of military experience for the required experience.
Contractual employees who work for an agency covered under the State Employee and Retiree Health and Welfare Benefits Program, have a current employment contract and work 30 or more hours a week (or on average 130 hours per month) may be eligible for subsidized health benefits coverage for themselves and their dependents. As a contractual employee, you will be responsible for paying 25% of the premiums for your medical and prescription coverage, including any eligible dependents you have enrolled. The State of Maryland will subsidize the remaining 75% of the cost for these benefits. You can also elect to enroll in dental coverage, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, and life insurance, but will be responsible to pay the full premium for these benefits.
Leave may be granted to a contractual employee who has worked 120 days in a 12 month period. This leave accrues at a rate of one hour for every 30 hours worked, not to exceed 40 hours per calendar year.
Applicants are encouraged to upload proof of education (transcripts), professional license and certifications, when applicable, during the recruitment process as these items will be required at the time of selection. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 410-767-4985 with questions about this recruitment. The online application process is STRONGLY preferred.
Apply online at www.dgs.maryland.gov
– click on Employment on the left side and then click on the appropriate position title. If you are unable to submit your application online, send your paper application to: Human Resources, Dept. of General Services, 301 W. Preston St., Suite 1311, Baltimore, MD 21201.