Sr. Investment Analyst II MSRP
|Department||Maryland State Retirement and Pension Systems|
|Date Opened||3/3/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||4/3/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$87,025.00 - $121,835.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Jacqueline Wallace|
The Maryland State Retirement Agency is the administrator of the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System. The System is a multi-employer, public employees' benefit retirement system composed of twelve (12) separate retirement and pension systems with additional plan components, covering approximately 412,000 members.
The Agency is seeking a Real Assets investment professional to serve as Senior Investment Analyst in the Real Assets group of the Investment Division. The Senior Investment Analyst reports directly to the Managing Director of Real Assets. Under the direction of the Managing Director, the Senior Investment Analyst will assist in Research and Investment Selection; Monitoring and Risk Management; and Reporting.
This is a Special Appointment position and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority.
LOCATION OF POSITION
120 East Baltimore Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Main Purpose of Job
The Senior Investment Analyst in the Real Assets group will be a key member of the Investment Division overseeing the MSRPS’ investment activities in real estate, infrastructure and natural resources. Under the direction of the Managing Director and Senior Portfolio Managers, the Senior Investment Analyst will be responsible for Research and Investment Selection; Monitoring and Risk Management; Data Management and Reporting. The candidate selected for this position should have strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to interact with colleagues, investment managers and others; proficiency with using MS Excel for modeling and analysis; and the ability to work independently and appropriately prioritize tasks.
The incumbent will work as part of the Real Assets team that ensures prudent investment of System assets to optimize long-term returns while actively monitoring and managing risk. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Research and Investment Selection:
* Market monitoring, research and idea generation;
* Maintenance of investment database and pipeline;
* Identification and selection of investment opportunities;
* Evaluation of a variety of investment vehicles including funds and co-investments;
* Review and analysis of investment manager performance;
* Assist in drafting of investment recommendations.
Monitoring and Risk Management:
* Monitoring, analysis and reporting of investments;
* Ongoing communication with managers and participation in quarterly/annual updates;
* Review of quarterly reports and financial statements;
* Analyze, prepare, and present data reported by managers and consultants;
* Monitor existing investments for compliance with established guidelines;
* Identify potential investment issues and provide recommended actions.
Data Management and Reporting:
* Maintenance and reconciliation of data between the System and third parties;
* Prepare portfolio reviews, including performance, exposures and market data;
* Assist in conducting performance attribution;
* Meeting notes, updates on existing and pipeline managers;
* Review and coordinate investment operations and accounting related matters;
* Prepare ad hoc reports as needed.
Travel up to 10% of the time.
Education: Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor’s degree.
Experience: Three years of experience in business or finance with an analytical focus or other relevant experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
* Knowledge of both public and private infrastructure and natural resources markets is preferred; the position will also include covering parts of the real estate portfolio;
* Institutional investment experience, particularly in performing due diligence on commingled funds and investment managers within private infrastructure and natural resources;
* Three years of experience in the financial services industry performing investment research and providing investment analysis/recommendations;
* Experience sourcing and underwriting opportunities to invest with emerging and diverse investment managers;
* Knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of investment management as well as knowledge of one or more private investment asset classes;
* CFA/CAIA or desire to work towards Certification;
* Proficiency with using MS Excel for modeling and analysis.
The ideal candidate will have strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to interact with colleagues, investment managers and others; and the ability to work independently and appropriately prioritize tasks.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the minimum for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the employment (eligible) list for at least one year. This list will be used by the hiring agency to select employees.
For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must accompany the application.
Due to the confidential nature of the work, selected candidates must undergo and pass a background check.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
Online applications are highly recommended. However, if you are unable to apply online, the paper application and supplemental questionnaire may be submitted to:
Department of Budget and Management
Recruitment and Examination Division
301 W. Preston St., Room 608
Baltimore, MD 21201
Paper application materials must be received in our office by the closing date for the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted.
For questions regarding this recruitment, please contact the DBM Recruitment and Examination Division at Application.Help@maryland.gov or 410-767-4850, MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruitment, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State's diversity.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|