Research and Data Specialist
Education Program Specialist I
|Department||MSDE - Office of the State Superintendent|
|Date Opened||3/16/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||3/30/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$77,204.00 - $96,961 (with progression to $119,591.00)|
|HR Analyst||Daniel Otakie|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
State Salary Grade 21
Annual salary Range: $77,204 - $96,961 (with progression to $119,591)
*State Salary Guidelines apply for current State employees.
STATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITS
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Note: All MSDE positions require in-person/on-site reporting.
Main Purpose of Job
This is a professional position responsible for assisting in the development and execution of the agency’s research agenda, evaluating the implementation and outcomes of agency programs, describing and analyzing agency data, and conducting and/or facilitating large-scale empirical research. The primary responsibilities of the position will be research design and data analysis.
Serve as an analyst/researcher for the agency’s empirical research, evaluation, and data analysis work
• Access, collect, describe, and analyze data for use in decision-making by the agency and State Board of Education
• Assist in designing and executing projects from agency’s research agenda by developing research questions and appropriate study design/methodology; conducting rigorous statistical data analysis; and interpreting and communicating results
• Communicate findings of research to appropriate audience
• Collaborate with colleagues to ensure appropriate data collection for use in data analysis and research
Support the agency’s use of data, research, and evidence in decision-making
• Write reviews of extant research on a variety of education-related topics
• Collect and review education-related policies from other states or jurisdictions
• Evaluate research on educational programs, activities, and interventions to determine whether research meets standards of quality and rigor
• Analyze data on behalf of the agency’s other offices and divisions such that they can monitor and evaluate their programs (for example, by designing and administering surveys or supporting the development of other data collection tools)
Education: A Master’s degree or the equivalent of 36 credit hours of post-baccalaureate course work from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Four years of professional experience as a research or data analyst in education or other related field. Fluency in a computer-based statistical package (SPSS, STATA, or SAS) as well as experience with Excel and Access required. Experience in the use of R and Tableau are preferred.
1. Candidates may substitute two additional years of experience directly related to the position option for the required education.
2. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Doctorate degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to the position option for one year of the required experience.
3. The required field of education and experience are unique for each option and are established by MSDE in accordance with Education Article, Section 2-104 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The specific education and experience qualifications for each position are on record in the Human Resource Management Branch of the Division of Business Services.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Education Program classifications or Education Program specialty codes in the Education field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
One year of experience using, cleaning, managing, and analyzing data sets.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Please include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
• Knowledge of Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESSA)
• Experience working with administrative data
• Skill in the statistical software package Stata
• Skill in data management and analysis
• Skill in communicating data and research findings to a variety of stakeholder groups
• Ability to analyze complex program issues and recommend solutions
• Skill in organizing and managing multiple projects, timelines, and deadlines
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgment in making decisions
Applicants must consent to State and FBI (CJIS) background check as a routine procedure for all employees.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified. The resulting list of qualified candidates will be in effect for at least one year.
Applicants must complete the MD State Government online application for employment and submit their professional resume. The application and resume must clearly demonstrate that the applicant satisfies the minimum qualifications for the position. Applications must be complete to be considered including all related job duties, even if those are also listed on an attached resume. Additional required materials may be uploaded with the online application, submitted to the fax number, or mailed to the address listed.
If you are unable to apply online, paper applications can be obtained from the link below and be faxed to 410-333-8950 or mailed to MSDE Office of Human Resources, 200 W. Baltimore Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. If there is a supplemental questionnaire, this must be completed and sent in with your paper application. Postmarks will not be accepted.
Inquiries can be made to 410-767-0020, TDD 410-333-3045. Appropriate accommodations can be made for individuals with disabilities. If you have difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850. TTY Users: Call via Maryland Relay.
Proof of eligibility to work is required in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act. Any misrepresentation of academic or experience requirements for this position may result in non-selection or termination of employment.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. Individuals with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
All application materials must be received in our office by the Closing Date.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|