Senior Research & Data Specialist
Education Program Specialist II
|Department||MSDE - Office of the State Superintendent|
|Date Opened||1/19/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/3/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$82,399.00 - $127,637.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Daniel Otakie|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
State Salary Grade 22
Annual Salary Range: $82,399 - $103,421 (with progression to $127,637)
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building
200 West Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Main Purpose of Job
The Senior Research and Data Specialist is responsible for supporting the agency’s progress toward its mission by assisting in the development and execution of the MSDE’s research agenda, evaluating the implementation and outcomes of programs, describing and analyzing agency data, and conducting and/or facilitating large-scale empirical research to support the implementation of the Blueprint for Maryland’s Future and MSDE’s strategic plan. The position will also provide internal data analysis and research support for the agency’s offices and divisions to promote data- and evidence-driven decision-making.
Serve as senior researcher for the agency’s empirical research, evaluation, and data analysis work
- Access, collect, describe, and analyze data for use in decision-making by the agency and State Board of Education and to support implementation of the Blueprint for Maryland’s Future.
- Design and execute projects from the agency’s research agenda by developing research questions and appropriate study design/methodology; conducting rigorous statistical data analysis; and interpreting and communicating results
- Coordinate with external research partners by evaluating external research requests
- Communicate findings of research to appropriate audience
- Provide analytic support for the design and monitoring of the agency’s strategic plan metrics and targets
- Explore the validity, reliability, and feasibility of metrics and targets for the agency’s strategic plan
- Collect and analyze data to track the state’s progress on strategic plan metrics
- Support the agency’s use of data, research, and evidence in decision-making
- Write reviews of extant research on a variety of education-related topics
- Evaluate research on educational programs, activities, and interventions to determine whether research meets standards of quality and rigor
- Provide data and research to support initiatives run by the agency’s other offices and divisions
- Collect and analyze data on behalf of the agency’s other offices and divisions such that they can monitor and evaluate their programs (for example, by designing and administering surveys or supporting the development of other data collection tools)
EDUCATION: Possession of a Master’s Degree or equivalent 36 credit hours of post-baccalaureate course work from an accredited college or university.
EXPERIENCE: Five (5) years of professional, administrative, or teaching experience in or affiliated with an education program or a related field; this experience to include executing, coordinating, or administering a data analysis, research, or program evaluation in education or a related field. Experience in quantitative research design, program evaluation, and statistical analysis procedures are preferred; SAS (Statistical Analysis Software) experience desired.
- Candidates may substitute two additional years of experience directly related to the position option for the required education.
- Candidates may substitute the possession of a Doctorate degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to the position option for one year of the required experience.
- The required field of education and experience are unique for each option and are established by MSDE in accordance with Education Article, Section 2-104 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The specific education and experience qualifications for each position are on record in the Human Resource Management Branch of the Division of Business Services.
- Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Education Program classifications or Education Program specialty codes in the Education field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education
Two years of experience collecting, describing, and analyzing data
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Knowledge of quantitative research and statistical procedures; knowledge of research related to education and education policy issues; skill in interpreting, summarizing, and communicating findings to both technical and lay audiences, both verbally and in written communication; ability to design quantitative research projects; ability to design and conduct program evaluations; ability to conduct descriptive and inferential statistical analyses procedures empirical research (SAS preferred); ability to provide technical guidance to internal and external partners; ability to manage projects, including managing timelines and budgets. (Non-essential knowledge/abilities may include qualitative research design, survey design, psychometrics, and/or econometric analysis techniques.)
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be ranked as Best Qualified, Better Qualified, or Qualified and placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
For education obtained outside of the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation will be required prior to hire. The resulting certified eligible list for this recruitment may be used for similar positions in this or other State agencies.
The assessment may consist of a rating of your education, training, and experience related to the requirements of the position. It is important that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all experience and education that is related to this position.
To apply for this position online go to MSDE Jobs on JobAps (or complete an MSDE Application on marylandpublicschools.org). On-line applications (and resumes) are the preferred method for receiving your application/attachments. Using this method will allow applicants to access their documents for future recruitments for which they apply and verify that the appropriate documents (resume-credentials) have been attached to the recruitment that requires them. Applicants must include their resume and provide sufficient information on the application to document that they satisfy the minimum qualifications for this recruitment. Please do not put "See Resume" in the job duties section of your application; your application will not be considered.
If you utilize fax or regular mail as the option to submit required attachments, you will need to resubmit these documents each time you apply for a new position that requires the attachments. Additionally, you must include the following information on each page of the attachment you submit in order to ensure that we append the attachments to the correct recruitment: First and Last Name, Recruitment Number, and the last 4 digits of your SS# and indicate application for - Education Program Specialist II, Senior Research and Data Specialist #061361 (JobAps# 23-005056-0001). Mailing Address: Maryland State Department of Education, Office of Human Resources, 200 West Baltimore Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201. Fax: 410-333-8950 - This fax number is for Department of Education recruitment actions only.
If you have difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850. For inquiries or an MSDE Application, contact 410-767-0019 or TTY/TDD 410-333-3045 or visit our website at http://www.marylandpublicschools.org/.