Manager of Educator Certification
Education Program Supervisor
|Department||MSDE - Division of Certification and Accreditation|
|Date Opened||3/17/2023 10:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||3/31/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$82,399.00 - $127,637.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Janet Thomas|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Nancy S. Grasmick Education Building
200 W. Baltimore Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Note: All MSDE positions require in-person/on-site reporting.
Working under the direction of the Director of Certification, the main purpose of this position is to serve as the lead technical and legal expert, as well as supervisor to the certification education specialists.
This position will provide supervisory support to the certification education program specialist I positions; coordinate and support data collection for certification reports as requested by the Director and or Assistant State Superintendent; audit the certification work completed by authorized certification partners in the local education agencies (LEAs) and certification staff; handles all certification waiver requests, complaints, information requests, and workflow correspondence; and develops and manages systems for the facilitation of increased customer service by certification staff.
- Manages and supervises certification specialists, conducts performance appraisals and assists in the recruitment and hiring of certification staff
- Provides lead technical assistance to certification specialists and LEAs
- Auditing certification work completed by LEA authorized partners and MSDE certification staff
- Supports the Director of Certification with all certification training
- Determine certificate eligibility based on the approved routes to certification
- Respond to inquiries concerning certification questions and complaints
- Process certification waiver requests
- Directs and coordinates the completion of all certification reports and data collection
- Develops and manages effective communication and customer service protocols
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related area from an accredited college or university.
Experience: Four years of administrative or teaching experience in, or affiliated with, an education program, including two years of experience in coordinating or administering an education program or service directly related to interpreting and implementing laws, regulations, and policies or educator certification policies and procedures.
1. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master’s degree or the equivalent of 36 credit hours of post baccalaureate course work in Education or a related area for the two years of required experience directly related to the position option.
2. Candidates may substitute the possession of a Doctorate degree from an accredited college or university in a field related to the position option for three years of the required experience.
3. The required field of education and experience are unique for each option and are established by MSDE in accordance with Education Article, Section 2-104 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The specific education and experience qualifications for each position are on record in the Human Resource Management Branch of the Division of Business Services.
4. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a commissioned officer in Education Program classifications or Education Program specialty codes in the Education field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Knowledge of trends, regulations, policies, and issues affecting educator preparation and/or certification
- Ability to effectively manage and supervise staff
- Skill in the assessment of credentials
- Knowledge of educator certification processes
- Knowledge of the process of achieving a National Board Certification by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
Applicants are subject to a criminal background investigation in accordance with the federal Family Law Article, Section 5.5.
APPLICANTS MUST UPLOAD A RESUME WITH THE COMPLETED APPLICATION FOR CONSIDERATION. Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be placed on the eligible (employment) list for at least one year.
It is preferred that applicants
complete the MD State Government online application for employment, as
well as upload a Resume. The application must clearly demonstrate
that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications for the position. If you
are unable to apply online, paper applications can be obtained from the
link below and mailed to MSDE Office of Human Resources, 200 W. Baltimore
Street, Baltimore, MD 21201. If there is a supplemental questionnaire,
this must be completed and sent in with your paper application, if you are
unable to apply online.
All application materials must be received in our office by the closing date. Postmarks will not be accepted. Applications must be complete to be considered including all related job duties, even if those are also listed on an attached resume. Additional required materials may be uploaded with the online application or mailed to the address listed.
Inquiries can be made to 410-767-0012, TDD 410-333-3045. Appropriate accommodations can be made for individuals with disabilities.
If you have difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850. TTY Users: Call via Maryland Relay.
Proof of eligibility to work is required in compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act. Any misrepresentation of academic or experience requirements for this position may result in non-selection or termination of employment.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining, and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|