Director of Multilingual Education
Education Program Manager II
|Department||MSDE - Deputy for Teaching and Learning|
|Date Opened||10/17/2023 10:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||12/22/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$95,798.00 - $154,319.00/year|
The Maryland State Department of Education is dedicated to supporting a world-class educational system that prepares all students for college and career success in the 21st century. With excellent stewardship from our divisions, we oversee State and federal programs that support the needs of a diverse population – students, teachers, principals, and other educators throughout Maryland.
State Salary Grade 24
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Establishes programs, initiatives, and policies that scale asset-based approaches for educating English learners and leads the development and implementation of the Blueprint for Maryland’s Blueprint’s English Learner Workgroup's recommendations to accelerate the education of English learners across Maryland.
- Provides leadership, guidance, and technical assistance to local education agencies (LEAs) and early childhood education providers regarding the design and development of curriculum, data analysis, and the implementation of instructional programs, including best practices in sheltered instruction across content areas and structured literacy practices to accelerate reading outcomes for multilingual learners.
- Ensures equity and access for multilingual learners by supporting the development of a comprehensive Statewide strategy to promote asset-based perspectives for multilingual learners and a language access policy for MSDE and LEAs.
- Enhances the Maryland Seal of Biliteracy program in collaboration with LEAs and Institutions of Higher Education to encourage students to pursue biliteracy and to recognize students attaining proficiency in two or more languages by high school graduation.
- Develops and monitors structures to ensure that all students in Maryland have access to and excel in best-in-class world language programs designed to elevate high levels of proficiency in multiple languages and support and sustain multilingualism.
- Provides content expertise in the development of statewide rubrics for high-quality, content-rich and culturally responsive instructional materials in multilingual education in collaboration with MSDE Instructional Programs and Support staff.
- Engages with MSDE Teaching and Learning offices/divisions to align and deploy best in class professional learning and support experiences to LEAs, early childhood education providers, institutions of higher education, community-based organizations, and workgroups to evaluate primary and secondary education programs.
- Develops a structure for building leadership capacity at the State and local levels by effectively applying findings from high-quality research and best practices to guide and inform the implementation of multilingual education and dual language immersion programs and initiatives and accelerate student achievement.
- Effectively collects and presents data internally and externally to assess program implementation and refinement; benchmark MSDE programs and initiatives against best-in-class national programs; and ensure alignment with federal and state laws and regulations.
- Leads multilingual, dual language, and world language education program and initiative budgets based on high-quality needs assessments.
- Develops a process to effectively support LEAs and early childhood education providers with relevant program and initiative budget development, implementation, and monitoring (federal and state).
- Candidates may substitute the possession of a Master’s degree or the equivalent of 36 credit hours of post-baccalaureate course work in Multilingual Education, World Language Education, Literacy, Reading education or a related area for two years of the required experience directly related to the position.
- The required field of education and experience are unique for this posting and are established by MSDE in accordance with Education Article, Section 2-104 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. The specific education and experience qualifications for each position are on record in the Office of Human Resources.
- Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience at a rank of Corporal/Petty Officer or higher as a commissioned officer in Education Program classifications or Education Program specialty codes in the Education field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience and education, one year of which must have been in an administrative supervisory or consultative capacity.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of prekindergarten through 12th grade Multilingual, World Language or Foreign Language Education programs and curriculum.
- Knowledge of standards, trends, regulations, policies, and effective instruction and assessment in Multilingual, World Languages or Foreign Language Education.
- Knowledge of Biliteracy Programs - programs that immerse students in multiple languages for the purposes of addressing Maryland College and Career Readiness Pathway Standards and/or State and national standards, trends, regulations, policies, and issues affecting Multilingual Education.
- Skill managing, leading, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating education programs.
- Skill in providing high-quality and service-level-based support and technical assistance for education programs.
- Skill collaborating with diverse communities and organizations for the purpose of implementing programs and strategies.
- Skill in developing and delivering research-based and best-in-class professional development programs.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Ability to interpret and apply learning standards, policies, and regulations.
- Ability to work as a team member and establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.||Apply Online|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|