Director of Social Services, Charles County
PROGRAM MANAGER SENIOR II
|Department||DHS - Charles County DSS|
|Date Opened||11/8/2023 6:45:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/27/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$95,798.00 - $139,869.00/year with potential growth to $154,319.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Heather Braddy|
The Maryland Department of Human Services (DHS) is the state’s human services provider. DHS helps Marylanders buy healthy foods, pay energy bills, obtain medical assistance and establish and collect child support. DHS also works to ensure that children, adults and families are stable and safe from abuse and neglect. Services are provided by DHS through the 24 Local Departments of Social Services which represent each of Maryland’s counties and Baltimore City. DHS employees serve more than 1 million Marylanders annually, working directly within the community to bring positive outcomes to Marylanders.
This is a Management Service position, and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Charles County Department of Social Services
200 Kent Avenue
La Plata, MD 20646
Main Purpose of Job
Help Build Stable Families in the Charles County Community.
- Child Welfare
- Adult Services
- Financial Assistance Programs- Temporary Cash Assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance, and Temporary Disabilities Assistance and
- Child Support
The CCDSS Director oversees a diverse staff of 140, and has a combined $1.89 million operating budget. The Director actively implements a culture of outstanding service to the Charles County community through building inclusive relationships with a broad range of community partners, maintaining internal policies and practices that support the mission of the Department of Human Services and improving the availability and accessibility of services to people throughout the County. In this role, the Director builds relationships to ensure that the Marylanders living in the County have access to the full array of services possible. The Director is a member of the Maryland Association of Social Services Directors (MASSD) and works with 23 other local Directors, state leadership, and local and state elected officials and an Advisory Board to develop, plan and implement mandated and non-mandated social services programs and policies statewide.
Located in Southern Maryland, Charles County borders Virginia and Washington D.C., and has an extensive shoreline on the Potomac River. Charles County is one of the fastest growing communities in Maryland with a very diverse population of 167,000. The County is in the midst of melding the "old and new" as its urban environment expands and creating more accessible services to those in its rural areas is a local priority. Access to extensive outdoor recreation, local historical sites and located within easy commuting distance of Northern Virginia, D.C. and the Northern Neck of Virginia, Charles County affords business, recreational and growth opportunities for all.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Ability to demonstrate a strong commitment to customer service.
- Strong leadership and management skills, particularly in fiscal and human resource management
- Ability to implement change, motivate staff and maintain relationships.
- Ability to acquire new funding from non-traditional sources
- Strong communication skills.
As an employee of the State of Maryland, you will have access to outstanding benefits, including:
● Health insurance, dental, and vision plans offered at a low cost (CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS).
● Personal Leave - new State employees are awarded six (6) personnel days annually (prorated based on start date).
● Annual Leave - ten (10) days of accumulated annual leave per year.
● Sick Leave - fifteen (15) days of accumulated sick leave per year.
● Parental Leave - up to sixty (60) days of paid parental leave upon the birth or adoption of a child.
● Holidays - State employees also celebrate at least twelve (12) holidays per year.
● Pension - State employees earn credit towards a retirement pension.
Teleworking opportunities may be available for this position.
If you have any questions about this recruitment, please contact Heather Braddy at 410-767-7855 or email@example.com.
The online application is strongly preferred. You will be required to provide a resume, salary history, and current salary requirements. This information must be uploaded as a single document along with your resume. If you are unable to apply online, you can mail your application and resume to : DHS/HRDT, Attn: Heather Braddy, 311 W. Saratoga Street, Rm 141, Baltimore MD 21201.
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about the online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
Additional information about DHS is available at www.dhs.maryland.gov.
MD TTY Relay Service: 1-800-735-2258.
People with disabilities and bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.