Treasury Insurance Professional Lead/Adv
Claims Litigation Specialist
|Department||Treasury Insurance Management|
|Date Opened||1/23/2023 11:23:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||2/11/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$67,802.00 - $105,072.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Caitlin Koehler|
Main Purpose of Job
Are you an Insurance Professional looking for a one-of-a-kind opportunity? We promise there is no other job quite like this in the state! Working for the State of Maryland, Treasurer’s Office, can expand your work experience beyond imagination, all while providing valuable service to the
citizens of Maryland.
The Insurance Division of the Maryland State Treasurer’s Office is responsible for administering the State's Insurance Program which is comprised of both commercial and self-insurance. Commercial insurance policies are procured to cover catastrophic property and liability losses, and other obligations derived from State contracts, statutes and regulations. Among the several exposures covered by commercial policies are State maintained toll bridges and tunnels, rail operations, assorted professional liability exposures and student athlete accidents. The State also self-insures a significant portion of its exposures and maintains the State Insurance Trust Fund to pay claims and the costs associated with handling those claims. Self-insurance coverage includes State-owned real and personal property, vehicles, and liability claims covered under the Maryland Tort Claims Act.
The Maryland Tort Claims Act requires that all claims against the State be filed with the State Treasurer’s Office, creating the need for the Insurance Division. The Claims Unit is responsible for handling claims filed against the State, its agencies, and its employees, which results in the receipt and investigation of thousands of claims each year. The average pending fluctuates between 125 – 175 claim files.
Many claims end up being resolved through litigation. The Claims Litigation Specialist is responsible for investigating, evaluating, managing and resolving a wide variety of moderately to highly complex claims, both those in litigation and those with the potential for litigation. This position works closely with attorneys in the Office of the Attorney General who serve the Treasurer, to proactively resolve litigated matters by investigating, evaluating and preparing large loss reports when relevant on claims and cases; by providing settlement authority; by preparing a complete summary and evaluation, electronically, of cases for presentation to the Insurance Review Committee for settlement authority in excess of current house authority; and by attending settlement conferences and other court mandated activities. As a claims specialist and subject matter expert on claims litigation, this position may brief adjusters on the status of certain litigation claims of high or sensitive interest as a teaching mechanism and to provide feedback on investigations. This position will also be responsible for reviewing and advising the Chief Deputy Treasurer and the Director of Insurance on indicated settlements pending before the State’s Board of Public Works.
Education: Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
Experience: Six years of experience in commercial insurance dealing with settling multi-line claims, risk management, loss control, and/or underwriting.
1. Candidates may substitute education at an accredited college or university, at a rate of thirty credit hours for each year of experience, for up to two years of the required experience.
2. Candidates may substitute U.S. Armed Forces military service experience as a non-commissioned officer in claims assistance and examining classification or claims assistance and examining specialty codes in the legal and kindred field of work on a year-for-year basis for the required experience.
- One year of the required experience must be in the claims adjusting, handling and oversight of litigated claims.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Four or more years of experience in investigating, adjusting and settling complex multi-line claims, with an emphasis on general liability, automobile liability and bodily injury.
- Working knowledge of tort law, claim values, and jurisdictional issues for Maryland
- AIC, AINS, SPPA, ANFI, AMIM or other insurance industry designations or related course work
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
- Job stability and pinnacle experience (we are a Constitutional Office)
- Work-life balance
- Ability to make your mark through public service
- Predictable hours and hybrid teleworking schedules
- Paid holidays 12-13 per year
- Generous paid leave package (annual, sick, personal and compensatory leave)
- State Pension ("defined benefit" plan)
- Tax-deferred supplemental retirement savings plans (401(k) and 457)
- Free parking
- Comprehensive, subsidized health, dental and prescription plans with little to no deductibles, free generic prescriptions, and free preventative health services
- Flexible Spending Account plans for Health Care and Daycare
- State Employees Credit Union
- Direct Deposit
To learn more, click here:
The State Treasurer's Office also offers a hybrid telework environment for eligible employees after 90 days of employment.
All job opportunities within the Maryland State Treasurer’s Office are accessible through JobAps, the Statewide Recruitment, Examination and Applicant tracking system. Please upload a current copy of your resume with your application.
Electronic application is strongly preferred; however, if you do not have access to a computer, you may send a copy of your resume to the State Treasurer's Office, Human Resources, 80 Calvert Street, Room 109, Annapolis MD 21401, or fax to 410-260-4090.
Any questions regarding this recruitment or the recruitment process may be directed to the STO HR Office at 410-260-7078.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
TTY Users: Call via Maryland Relay