ASSISTANT PUBLIC DEFENDER
Spring Class 2024 (Multiple Positions)
|Department||Office of the Public Defender|
|Date Opened||8/21/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/4/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$84,047.00 - $122,774.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Marie Figueroa Ocasio|
The Maryland Office of the Public Defender (OPD) seeks dynamic, dedicated, and client-centered litigators to serve as Assistant Public Defenders in offices across Maryland. OPD is excited to hire attorneys to join offices across Maryland. OPD currently has opportunities for candidates at all experience levels. We are committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourage people historically underrepresented in the practice of law to apply.
The Maryland Office of the Public Defender is a statewide agency that provides superior representation to indigent clients at all stages of the criminal case including trial, appeal, and eligible post-conviction proceedings. Representation is provided through offices and services at 52 locations statewide with a workforce of approximately 1000 employees. At OPD, we use our legal education and experience to fight for justice and fairness, no matter what and we refuse to remain silent in the midst of human suffering. Our unique talents, identities, educational backgrounds, and perspectives guide us in representing our clients. We stand up against prejudice, systemic racism, and inequity in all the spaces we occupy.
The Agency’s vision is for Justice, Fairness, and Dignity for All. Employees are committed to the core values of a culture of excellence, client-centered representation, tenacious advocacy, and are united as a team in achieving the Agency’s mission. Learn more about our mission and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Assistant Public Defenders combine their demonstrated dedication to the representation of indigent clients with their strong litigation skills to provide exceptional representation. With training and support, attorneys in these positions are expected to work independently in managing an active caseload while simultaneously working in a team-oriented environment focused on a client-centered approach to advocacy. Successful candidates for these positions will begin their employment with OPD by February 21, 2024. All selected candidates are required to attend training from February 21, 2024, through March 11, 2024.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Ability to prepare for and manage an active caseload competently and resourcefully.
- Effectively and compassionately communicate with clients, colleagues, and service providers to ensure optimal outcomes for clients.
- Continuously seek professional and personal development through training, continuing legal education, and trial skills courses.
- Ensure clients are consistently heard and respected.
- Passionate and zealous representation of clients charged with criminal and traffic matters at every stage of the criminal process.
- Other duties as assigned by the Public Defender.
Core Competencies and Requirements
- Demonstrated commitment to serving communities who have been pushed to the margins.
- Excellent research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Clear dedication to upending systemic racism, prejudice, and unfairness in the criminal justice system.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people with different backgrounds and lived experiences.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, diverse, team-oriented environment.
- Exceptional organizational, legal, and administrative skills necessary to handle a high caseload.
- All offers will be contingent on membership in Good Standing with the bar in advance of the scheduled start date. Non-Maryland attorneys must become a member of the Maryland Bar within 18 months of their start date.
If you wish to be considered, please click below to fill out the application and submit the following items in one PDF attachment through the Maryland State Government Job Openings Page: (1) a current resume, (2) a cover letter addressing the above qualifications, (3) a list of four professional references; and (4) law school transcript (if within 3 years of graduation). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Assistant Public Defenders are full-time employees and cannot engage in the private practice of law while in this position. MD Code, Criminal Procedure Art., Section 16-203(d)(2).
As a State agency, the Maryland Office of the Public Defender (MOPD) is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. MOPD is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
All applicants must be able to communicate with clients and visitors and possess the ability to complete tasks in a fast-paced work environment. Applicants must be able to work in various positions and travel to various courtrooms and office environments throughout the state. MOPD is further committed to providing equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities by modifying or adjusting the job application process or the job or work environment to make reasonable accommodations to the known applicant or employee to enable the applicant or employee be considered for the position they desire; to perform the essential functions of the position in question; or to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment as are enjoyed by other similarly situated employees without disabilities, unless the accommodation imposes an undue hardship.
Applicants must be able to operate a computer and other office equipment. Applicants must have access to a motor vehicle or be able to navigate public transportation. If a reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact Tawanda Jackson, Human Resources Supervisor, at 410-767-8503 or email@example.com.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.||Apply Online|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|