ASSISTANT PUBLIC DEFENDER
Upper Eastern Shore: District III
|Department||Office of the Public Defender|
|Date Opened||9/12/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$84,047.00 - $135,450.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Marie Figueroa Ocasio|
The Maryland Office of the Public
Defender (OPD) seeks dynamic, dedicated, and client-centered litigators to
serve as Assistant Public Defenders in our Upper Eastern Shore
Assistant Public Defenders are expected to work independently in managing an active caseload while simultaneously working in a team-oriented environment focused on a client-centered approach to advocacy. Attorneys are generally assigned to one specific office in the district but must remain flexible to provide coverage to the other counties within District III. OPD strives to achieve Justice, Fairness, and Dignity for All. Our employees are committed to the core values of a culture of excellence, client-centered representation, and tenacious advocacy, and are united as a team in achieving the OPD’s mission.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Assistant Public Defender combines their demonstrated commitment with their strong and zealous litigation skills to provide exceptional representation on behalf of their clients. Candidates with limited/moderate amount of criminal trial experience interested in joining OPD to do criminal trial work are invited to apply. Offers will be made on a rolling basis. Successful candidates for these positions will begin their employment with OPD immediately.
- Zealous representation of indigent defendants charged with misdemeanor and felony criminal, traffic, and juvenile matters.
- Ability to prepare for and manage an active caseload; including, but not limited to the handling of bail review hearings, District Court and Circuit Court trials, Juvenile matters, preliminary hearings, violation of probation hearings, and modification of sentence hearings competently and resourcefully.
- Effectively and compassionately communicate with clients, colleagues, and providers for optimal client outcomes.
- Continuously seek professional development through training, continuing legal education, and trial skills courses.
- Other duties as assigned by the Public Defender.
Core Competencies and Requirements:
- Demonstrated commitment to serving communities who have been pushed to the margins.
- Clear dedication to upending systemic racism, prejudice, and unfairness in the criminal justice system.
- Excellent research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with people from different backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, diverse, team-oriented environment.
- Exceptional organizational, legal, and administrative skills necessary to handle a high caseload.
- Exposure to the proceedings and pace of the District Court and Circuit Court (litigation experience or judicial clerkship helpful).
- All offers will be contingent on membership in good standing with the bar in advance of the scheduled start date (unfortunately, this means most third-year law students are not eligible). Non-Maryland attorneys must commit to becoming a member of the MD bar within 18 months of their start date.
Assistant Public Defender I
Assistant Public Defender II
Assistant Public Defender III
If you wish to be considered, please click below to fill out the application and submit the following items in one PDF attachment through the Maryland State Government Job Openings Page Resume Tab: (1) current resume, (2) cover letter, (3) list of four professional references, and (4) a law school transcript (if graduated from law school within the past 3 years). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Assistant Public Defenders are full-time employees and cannot engage in the private practice of law while in this position. MD Code, Criminal Procedure Art., Section 16-203(d)(2).
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.||Apply Online|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|