Assistant Public Defenders
Appellate Division (Multiple Openings)
|Department||Office of the Public Defender|
|Date Opened||11/17/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/12/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$84,047.00 - $135,450.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Marie Figueroa Ocasio|
The Maryland Office of the Public Defender (OPD) seeks dynamic, dedicated, and client-centered advocates to serve as attorneys in its Appellate Division. OPD is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages people historically underrepresented in the practice of law to apply.
The Appellate Division provides superior representation for indigent criminal defendants, juvenile respondents in delinquency cases, and parents in child access cases during the appellate process before the Appellate Court of Maryland, the Supreme Court of Maryland, and the United States Supreme Court. The Appellate Division is also in a unique position to influence the development of the law in Maryland and to advocate for systemic reforms.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
Assistant Public Defenders combine their demonstrated dedication to the representation of indigent clients with strong research, writing, and advocacy skills to provide exceptional representation. Appellate attorneys are expected to work independently in managing active caseloads while simultaneously working in a team-oriented environment focused on a client-centered approach to representation. These positions allow for flexible work-from-home options. The positions will be located in Baltimore City and will involve travel to the appellate courts in Annapolis as well as correctional facilities located throughout Maryland.
- Provide superior representation to clients throughout the appellate process, including identifying appellate issues, conducting thorough legal research, writing persuasive briefs and certiorari petitions, and presenting oral arguments.
- Actively and effectively communicate with clients, their families, trial attorneys, court staff, and opposing counsel.
- Ensure clients are consistently heard and respected.
- Work collaboratively with other OPD employees to advance our clients’ interests.
- Continuously seek professional development through training, continuing legal education, and advocacy courses.
- Competently and resourcefully prepare for and manage an active caseload.
- Other duties as assigned by the State Public Defender.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Demonstrated commitment to serving communities who have been pushed to the margins.
- Dedication to upending systemic racism, prejudice, and unfairness in the criminal justice system.
- Compassion for the clients and communities served by OPD.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with people from different backgrounds and experiences.
- Strong issue-spotting, research, oral advocacy, and writing skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Exceptional organizational, legal, and administrative skills necessary to handle a high caseload.
- Active membership in good standing in another state’s Maryland Bar or Bar. Attorneys barred in another state must become members of the Maryland Bar within 18 months of the start date. Preference in the selection process will be given to candidates who are already a member of the Maryland Bar.
Assistant Public Defender I
Assistant Public Defender II
Assistant Public Defender III
Salary is dependent on experience, and salary rules will apply to State of Maryland employees. Please visit the State of Maryland Employee’s page to review benefit information.
Assistant Public Defender I- $84,225.00-$118,953.00 (Grade 20, Step 6-24)
Assistant Public Defender II- $93,424.00-126,912.00 (Grade 21, Step 8-24)
Assistant Public Defender III- $103,514.00-$135,450.00 (Grade 22, Step 10-24)
If you wish to be considered, please click below to fill out the application and submit the following items in through the Maryland State Government Job Openings Page Resume Tab: (1) a current resume, (2) a cover letter, (3) a list of four professional references, and (4) a writing sample. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Assistant Public Defenders are full-time employees and cannot engage in the private practice of law while in this position. MD Code, Criminal Procedure Art., Section 16-203(d)(2).
As a State agency, the Maryland Office of the Public Defender (MOPD) is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. MOPD is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, physical or mental disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information.
All applicants must be able to communicate with clients and visitors and possess the ability to complete tasks in a fast-paced work environment. Applicants must be able to work in various positions and travel to various courtrooms and office environments throughout the state. MOPD is further committed to providing equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities by modifying or adjusting the job application process or the job or work environment to make reasonable accommodations to the known applicant or employee to enable the applicant or employee be considered for the position they desire; to perform the essential functions of the position in question; or to enjoy equal benefits and privileges of employment as are enjoyed by other similarly situated employees without disabilities, unless the accommodation imposes an undue hardship.
Applicants must be able to operate a computer and other office equipment. Applicants must have access to a motor vehicle or be able to navigate public transportation. If a reasonable accommodation is needed, please contact Tawanda Jackson, Human Resources Supervisor, at 410-767-8503 or email@example.com.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.||Apply Online|
|View and print the Supplemental Questionnaire.||This recruitment requires completion of a supplemental questionnaire. You may view and print the supplemental questionnaire here.|
|Apply via Paper Application.||You may also download and complete the Paper Application here.|