INVESTMENTS DIRECTOR (ADMINISTRATOR III)
Office of the Comptroller
|Department||COMP Executive Direction|
|Date Opened||1/20/2023 10:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||2/17/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$63,556.00 - $98,523.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Mary-Kathryn Beech|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Monitor the investments and performance of the SRPS and 529 programs.
- Prepare materials for the Comptroller for SRPS and 529 board meetings; and prepare summary reports for Comptroller following each meeting.
- Liaise with SRPS and 529 staff to access information about investments and operations.
- Analyze how the SRPS and 529 programs and their fund managers impact racial equity, access and inclusion, climate, support for Maryland businesses, and other factors identified by the Comptroller.
- Develop recommendations and strategies for Comptroller on how investments can better achieve these broader goals within the fiduciary requirements of the plans.
- Develop recommendations and strategies for Comptroller on how to improve access and inclusion in the SRPS and 529 programs for all eligible Marylanders.
- Identify operational challenges within SRPS and 529 programs and develop recommendations for addressing challenges; and help implement approved improvement actions, as appropriate.
- Research and be knowledgeable of best practices in pension and 529 investment programs from other states.
- Work with other units within the Policy, Public Works, and Investment office on developing investment and operational strategies and recommendations.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Masters of Business Administration.
- A self-starter with excellent organizational and administrative skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and in different job settings - from Agency Secretaries to small business owners to community members and elected officials.
- Experience in working with subject matter experts and distilling technical and complex information.
- Strong knowledge of public pension fund investments and the responsibilities of trustees of public funds, as well as the fiscal impacts public investment funds have on the state budget.
- Working knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of investment administrator fiduciaries, investment service providers, actuaries, and investment officers.
- Working knowledge of recent and emerging investment impacts, programs, and strategies, such as: fossil fuel divestment, inclusive economic development, impact investing, baby bonds, and invest local strategies.
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to demonstrate that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. Please indicate clearly any position-specific experience and ensure all education and experience sections are complete. Incomplete information may result in the disqualification of your application.
All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date.
*Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Only applicants who meet the minimum and selective qualifications for this recruitment will be considered for this opportunity. Approval of your application will be based on a review of your education, training and experience. It is essential that you submit complete and accurate information on your application in order to determine if you meet the qualifications as specified above. Due to the nature of this list, all qualified applicants are placed on an unranked list of candidates and will remain active on this list for at least one year.
Qualifying applicants are subject to an oral interview. Prior to appointment, the employee must successfully undergo a comprehensive background investigation including a review of criminal, MVA and tax records; and determination of legal authorization to work in the United States or under the United States Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. This background check is comprehensive and may involve fingerprinting. Upon initial appointment OR promotion to a position in the State Personnel Management System, an employee is required to serve an initial six- month probationary period. This probationary period may be extended an additional six months under certain circumstances at the discretion of the appointing authority.
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country and encourage them to apply. If you are seeking veteran's preference, please submit a copy of your DD-214.
The preferred method for submitting additional information is to upload it directly into your online account. Please remove references to the first 5 digits of your SSN and your DOB on all attachments by deleting, redacting or blacking that information out with a marker. Any attachments necessary to demonstrate the minimum qualifications were met must be submitted by the filing deadline.
The online application process is STRONGLY preferred. If you choose fax or email as the option to submit your application and/or required additional information, you must include the following information on each page you submit:
- First and Last Name
- Recruitment Number (located at the top of the bulletin)
- The last four digits of your SS#
Fax: 410-974-5249 – This fax number is for Comptroller of Maryland recruitment efforts only.
For Further Questions
If you are having difficulty with your user account or have general questions about this online application system, please contact the MD Department of Budget and Management, Recruitment and Examination Division at 410-767-4850 or Application.Help@maryland.gov.
If you have questions about this particular recruitment, please contact the Comptroller of MD, Office of Human Resources at email@example.com.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: (410) 260-7695 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity. Bilingual applicants and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.