SOCIAL SERVICES ATTORNEY III
|Department||DHS - Baltimore City DSS|
|Date Opened||11/8/2023 2:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/22/2023 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$84,047.00 -$118,191/year with potential to growth to $135,450.00|
|HR Analyst||Lavelle Hall|
When you join the Maryland Department of Human Services (DHS), you join a team of more than 5,000 employees across the state dedicated to positively changing the lives of more than 1 million Marylanders each year. We do this by providing economic support, preventive services, and caring for children and adults.
This is a Special Appointment position, and serves at the pleasure of the Appointing Authority.
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
- Prepares and litigates cases and matters and matters on behalf of BCDSS before the Circuit, Juvenile, and District Courts, as assigned, to enable the agency to meet its child welfare, adult protective service, and confidentiality mandates.
- Provides legal advice to agency staff, which shall include an assessment of the options available to accomplish staff goals and minimize the potential for agency liability.
- Provides legal advice and representation to the agency on evenings, weekends, and holidays when assigned 'on call' coverage.
- Provides training to agency adult and child welfare staff on legal issues relevant to the performance of duties.
- Comments on proposed legislation and changes in court rules, recommends changes in agency and Legal Services policies and procedures to improve the work of the division and the agency.
- Alerts appropriate Legal Service supervisory staff of problems, if any, with the adequacy of the work of the legal assistants, secretaries and other support personnel.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualification(s). Include clear and specific information on your application regarding your qualifications.
- Experience or expressed interest in representing a government agency such as the Department of Human Services, State Department of Health, local department of Social Services, or employment as an assistant state's attorney.
- Experience or expressed interest in public service law or serving as an advocate in an unrelated field, such as community activist/services, teaching, etc.
- Current experience in juvenile law, child welfare or Human Services.
- Previous experience working in juvenile or child welfare law or representing a government agency.
- Experience as a Judicial Clerk, or in public service law or serving as an advocate in an unrelated field, such as community activist/service, teaching, etc.
- For applicants recently admitted to the Maryland Bar, an expression of interest in the field of human services through the completion of relevant courses and clinical programs.
LIMITATIONS ON SELECTION
Please make sure that you provide sufficient information on your application to show that you meet the qualifications for this recruitment. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Successful candidates will be placed on the employment (eligible) list. The resulting list may be used for future vacancies with this agency or other state agencies.
As an employee of the State of Maryland, you will have access to outstanding benefits, including: health insurance, dental, and vision plans offered at a low cost. CLICK ON THIS LINK FOR MORE DETAILS: STATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITS
Online applications are STRONGLY preferred; however, the paper application may be submitted to Baltimore City Department of Social Services, Attn: Lavelle Hall, 1910 N. Broadway, MD 21213. The paper application must be received by 5 p.m. close of business on the closing date of the recruitment. No postmarks will be accepted. The previous Maryland State application (MS-100) will not be accepted.
If you have any questions about this recruitment, please contact Baltimore City Department of Social Services at 443-378-4555.
As an equal opportunity employer, Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
TTY Users: call via Maryland Relay
We thank our Veterans for their service to our country, and encourage them to apply.