OFFICE ASSISTANT II-PD
|Requesting Department||Milwaukee Police Department|
|Open Date||4/2/2021 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||4/30/2021 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Marti Cargile|
If you have one+ year of administrative support experience in an office setting, this may be the position you’ve been seeking! Working in the Milwaukee Police Department (MPD) is interesting and rewarding and offers opportunities for advancement. Three shifts are available, and Office Assistant IIs receive excellent benefits, described below.
Office Assistant II openings are primarily available for second and third shifts; however, a limited number of first shift openings may be available. Each eight-hour shift includes a 20-minute paid lunch.
1. First (Day) Shift: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
2. Second (Early) Shift: 4:00 p.m. to 12:00 p.m.
3. Third (Late) Shift: 12:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
The City of Milwaukee is proud to employ a diverse workforce that is committed to providing exemplary service to the City’s residents. If you have a passion for being a part of an inclusive team of public servants, please consider the following opportunity.
The City of Milwaukee Police Department employs Office Assistant IIs in various divisions. Under supervision, the Office Assistant IIs type letters, reports, records, and other documents and perform a variety of clerical duties.
- Answer telephones, direct calls, and take messages.
- Provide excellent customer service to citizens, representatives of other departments, and outside agencies via phone and in person, including responding to inquiries and explaining departmental policies and procedures.
- Prepare and process letters, email messages, crime incident reports, and other documents accurately and completely using Microsoft Word and other software programs.
- Proofread written materials to ensure accuracy and correct grammar, punctuation, vocabulary, and spelling.
- File documents and create, maintain, update, and organize electronic and hard copy files.
- Enter, update, and maintain data, such as criminal records, in various computer databases.
- Operate a variety of standard office equipment, including copiers, printers, and fax machines.
- Organize and prioritize assigned work to meet deadlines.
- Prepare meeting agendas, attend meetings, and record minutes.
- Maintain supervisors’ schedules and manage various calendars for staff such as meeting and vacation calendars.
MAIL AND SUPPLIES PROCESSING
- Assist with processing incoming and outgoing mail to ensure it reaches the proper recipients.
- Assist with completing and mailing bills, checks, invoices, contracts, and/or policies.
- Assist in conducting inventory and ordering office supplies.
We welcome qualified individuals with disabilities who are interested in employment and will make reasonable accommodations during the hiring process in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
*** The Office Assistant II is considered essential staff during the current public health emergency. ***
One year of full-time equivalent experience in an office setting performing administrative support duties closely related to the above functions, including serving customers, using computers to enter data and prepare documents, and organizing files.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
NOTE: To receive credit for related college coursework, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcripts must be legible and include your name, the university name, the degree completed (if applicable), and the degree completion date.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of general office procedures, systems, terminology, and equipment.
- Ability to read and understand work-related documents.
- Ability to follow instructions given by superiors.
- Proficiency using the basic features of word processing, spreadsheet, and email software to type letters, memos, and messages as well as to enter and edit data accurately.
- Knowledge of English writing mechanics and the ability to proofread documents and reports.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations to be able to double-check bills, statements, and supply orders.
INTERPERSONAL AND CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS
- Interpersonal and teamwork skills to be able to work effectively with both sworn and non‑sworn supervisors and coworkers.
- Ability to work cooperatively and fairly with others whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Customer service skills, empathy, and tact to be able to serve the public and represent the department positively.
- Ability to organize and complete work assignments in a timely manner.
- Ability to accurately maintain numerical and alphabetical filing systems.
- Ability to manage calendars for supervisors and staff.
- Ability to process mail and manage supplies.
- Ability to handle sensitive information carefully.
- Ability to remain composed during stressful situations.
- Honesty and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
The current starting salary (salary range 6EN) is $30,529 and the resident incentive starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $31,445.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
Defined Benefit Pension Plan
457 Deferred Compensation Plan
Health and Dental Insurance
Comprehensive Wellness Program
Onsite Clinic Services
Onsite Employee Assistance Program
Alternative Work Schedules
Long Term Disability Insurance
Group Life Insurance
11 Paid Holidays
Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
Flexible Spending Arrangement
Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit http://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after Friday, April 30, 2021. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
NOTE 1: The first step in the selection process is a written test for all applicants who meet the minimum qualifications. Candidates who pass the written test will be invited in score order to take a proficiency exam in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook (Version 2010); candidates who pass the proficiency exam will be placed on the eligible list.
The Written Examination is scheduled as follows (subject to change):
Between May 24, 2021 and June 4, 2021
NOTE 2: To be hired by the Milwaukee Police Department, candidates must pass an MPD background investigation before hire. Your application will be rejected if you have been convicted of a felony.
- Applications and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on the link below to apply:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|