PUBLIC HEALTH SOCIAL WORKER
|Requesting Department||HEALTH DEPARTMENT|
|Open Date||6/26/2018 4:25:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/25/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
Home Visiting/Case Management
- Develop and maintain supportive and trusting relationships with clients and other members of the family unit to promote independent and empowered actions by families.
- Provide ongoing home visits and phone contact based on families needs as prescribed by Empowering Families protocols.
- Assess client/family needs and make appropriate referrals to community resources.
- Act as an advocate for families regarding needed resources from governmental, community, and private agencies.
- Complete developmental screening and assessments of clients’ physical, social, psychological, and environmental health status.
- Provide counseling for primary, secondary, and tertiary health problems.
- Teach prevention and promote the adoption of healthy behaviors.
- Collaborate with private care providers, allied professionals, and other MHD personnel regarding needs of clients under social work case management.
- Develop and implement case management and care plans for resolution of assessed client/family needs; document social work case management within SPHERE according to MHD’s policies and Medicaid requirements; assess community needs for input into MHD programs.
- Function as a member of the multidisciplinary team, working in a dyad comprised of a public health nurse and public health social worker.
- Attend program meetings, training sessions, and community meetings; participate in the orientation and on-going training for EFM.
- Evaluate and/or provide assistance to determine the effectiveness of particular services and home visiting interventions.
- Participate in data collection, program evaluation, and preparation of reports pertinent to objectives of the program.
- Serve as liaison with hospitals, government services, and community agencies for social service needs of mothers and infants.
- Represent the MHD and its policies and strategies in the community.
- Develop relationships between the MHD and the community to enhance advocacy for clients and their needs.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Ability to frequently stand, walk, climb stairs, and sit and occasionally move/lift up to 25 pounds.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work from an accredited college or university.
- One year of social service experience working in the community with clients.
- Valid Social Worker certification or Temporary Social Worker certification issued by the State of Wisconsin at time of appointment. A valid Social Worker certification must be maintained throughout employment. NOTE: Applicants must list their certificate number and effective dates on the supplemental questionnaire portion of the online application and attach a copy of their valid State of Wisconsin certificate to the online application (or temporary certificate information if applicable).
- Valid driver’s license and possession of a properly insured vehicle for use on the job at time of appointment and throughout employment. Mileage reimbursement is provided.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Your transcript must be legible and include the following information: the university or college name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date the degree was completed.
- Master’s degree in Social Work from an accredited college or university.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of contemporary theories of child development issues, practices, and trends.
- Knowledge of social services agencies and other resources in the community.
- Knowledge of and ability to work with computers, including word processing, database, project management, and spreadsheet applications, and case management information systems.
- Ability to work independently.
- Interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain good working relationships with clients, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary staff, other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to manage emotional or difficult client situations.
- Cultural diversity awareness and sensitivity.
- Ability to write clearly and informatively, including reports, business correspondence, and procedural manuals.
- Ability to speak clearly and persuasively in order to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and the general public.
- Ability to identify and solve practical problems.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to plan and organize work.
The current salary range (PG 2DN) for City of Milwaukee residents is $47,095-$59,498 annually, and the non-resident salary range is $45,939-$58,038. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit http://city.milwaukee.gov/der/Benefits-2018#.WgYyqE2ovAA.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations and the Milwaukee Health Department reserve the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after
Tuesday, July 17, 2018 Wednesday, July 25, 2018. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- Applications and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO Code= 208
“The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.”
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|