DPW OPERATIONS BUSINESS ANALYST
|Open Date||6/25/2018 12:20:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/16/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
- Update and maintain ESRI GIS maps, ERSI Workforce system and RouteSmart Technologies software.
- Research and implement new GIS software and procedures as necessary to improve access, reliability and to stay current regarding industry trends.
- Conduct conversions, upgrades, software integration, hardware development, training and updates as it relates to maps, routes and wireless work order systems in order to provide efficient, real-time data streams for users to meet mission critical goals.
- Consult with ITMD for consistent application of computer software, file transfers, and to ensure compliance with established computer security guidelines.
- Coordinate Direct Internet Message Encapsulation (DIME) files between ITMD and DPW Operations.
- Develop, research, test, and implement new updated software, web-based applications and production technology programs.
- Manage the implementation of systems in collaboration with ITMD and the end-user division sections including Sanitation, Forestry, Fleet, and Parking.
- Evaluate DPW division data system needs and provide available products analysis in order to meet division needs and to solve work process issues.
- Collaborate with ITMD, vendors, and users throughout the process of research, training and implementation of projects.
- Coordinate with the Fleet Communications section in order to implement wireless and/or cellular communication networks.
- Research automatic vehicle locating (AVL), GIS and GPS modules for future integration with ESRI.
- Provide a global approach to team management in order to accomplish program goals.
- Manage, maintain and update the enterprise software and work order database systems.
- Provide data maintenance, updates, and reconfigurations of hand held computers and tablets in order to maintain efficient function.
- Develop, document, and maintain step by step procedures for new and existing production technology systems as they relate to all users; update as needed to stay current and relevant to users and customers. Provide staff training, support, and troubleshoot problems.
- Coordinate the timely collection of statistical data and record project activities in order to create project databases, spreadsheets, and documents. Provide requested information to department leadership for Accountability in Management meetings and annual reports.
- Coordinate information systems, facilitate networking of information with other DPW divisions, compile data and report information to the Director of Operations.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer technology, geographic science, GIS mapping technology or a closely related field.
- Two years of experience working with ESRI GIS, ESRI Workforce and GPS software applications in a professional setting.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of GIS, automated mapping, and geography principles and practices.
- Knowledge of GIS theory and application.
- Expertise in the use of ESRI GIS and Workforce software.
- Ability to capably perform various mapping/data assignments.
- Ability to develop systematic solutions for operational problems.
- Ability to troubleshoot hardware and software issues to ensure consistent functionality.
- Ability to stay abreast of best practices in GIS, automated mapping and production technology through on-going continuing education activities.
- Skill in using standard computer applications such as the Internet, word processing, spreadsheet, and database.
- Ability to read and interpret technical work-related documents and policies.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Oral and written communication skills, including the ability to produce correspondence and reports.
- Ability to clearly communicate technical information in an understandable way for both technical and non-technical staff.
- Ability to provide training and clearly explain complex GIS and other production technology processes and concepts to non-technical users.
- Ability to provide thorough and accurate documentation and reporting of work processes.
- Ability to work as part of a synergistic professional team and carry out routine assignments without detailed supervision.
- Interpersonal and customer service skills, including the ability to build and maintain good working relationships with a multi-disciplinary/multi-cultural staff, management and other agencies.
- Leadership, time management and organizational skills and the ability to provide direction to staff to meet varying project deadlines and ensure completion of projects.
- Initiative, honesty and integrity.
The current salary range (PAY RANGE 2FX) for City of Milwaukee resident is $48,670 - $67,616 annually, and the non-resident salary range is $47,476 - $65,957. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit http://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2018.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE: The examination will be held as soon as practical after Monday, July 16, 2018. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, http://city.milwaukee.gov/jobs.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St., Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202
EEO = 202
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.