PENSION ACCOUNTING MANAGER
|Requesting Department||EMPLOYES' RETIREMENT SYSTEM|
|Open Date||6/26/2018 4:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/31/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Deidre Steward|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
- Accumulate, calculate, post, balance, and reconcile data for specific investments; identify, trace and otherwise resolve discrepancies involving trust company in records in accordance with established procedures and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Coordinate with the Pension Accounting Manager and Pension Accounting Specialist to reconcile amounts posted to the general ledger via the Merits System. Oversee the preparation and balancing of monthly investment transactionsearnings; review general ledger journal entries for Employes’ Retirement System (ERS) accounting system (ACCPACSage 300).
- Produce reports,and reviews reports for accuracy and completeness, maintain a permanent record of ERS’ financial and accounting transactions, including source documentation. Maintain electronic copies of the Trust Portfolio reports (custodial records).
- Coordinate with system’s actuary to prepare year-end information to support the annual actuarial evaluation, and provides quality control. Oversee or conduct various annual processes, coordinate with the IT and Member Services departments the unclaimed property benefits process; coordinate outside earnings and requirements. Document s responsibilities and procedures. Administer and coordinate the monthly payroll for the Policemen’s Annuity and Benefit Fund (PABF).
- Prepare the comprehensive annual financials and serve as the primary point of contact for the external auditors in preparing the annual audit of financial statements for the ERS and PABF. Provide assistance to internal auditors.
- Prepare required reports for management, ERS Board, and staff. Prepare ERS Annual Report to members. Report financial reporting disclosures to all plan sponsors.
- Direct and provide guidance to the pension accounting specialist, program assistant II and the accounting assistant II in the areas of mentoring and training.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, or a closely related from an accredited college or university.
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in governmental accounting, investment accounting or finance work.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification or CPA candidacy
- Master’s degree in business administration (MBA)
- Knowledge of Northern Trust Passport and ACCPAC Sage 300 accounting software
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of modern governmental accounting theory, principles, and practices, including Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Knowledge of accounting principles and familiarity with automated and manual accounting processes.
- Knowledge of data processing and experience with automation products and software application.
- Ability to disassemble and scrutinize accounting data to ensure that high detail and dollar volume transactions properly balance and reflect changes originating during the accounting period.
- Ability to review and validate calculations and reconcile accounting data from disparate accounting and management information systems.
- Ability to produce timely annual financial statements and other compliance reports.
- Ability to work independently while supporting and mentoring staff members.
- Ability to read, interpret and apply complex rules and regulations.
- Written communication skills to prepare clear and concise business correspondence and reports.
- Ability to use standard office hardware and software such as MERITS, word processing, spreadsheet, database, and email.
- Ability to think critically and analytically to problem-solve, make decisions and use sound judgment.
- Oral communication skills to positively represent the department to individuals and groups both large and small.
- Ability to exhibit exemplary professionalism.
- Ability to perform work with a high degree of accuracy and highly organized.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and tight time constraints to produce high quality product.
- Integrity and the ability to maintain complete confidentiality.
The current salary range (Pay Range 1EX) for City of Milwaukee residents is $58,462-$81,844 annually, and the non-resident salary range is $57,028-$79,836. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit http://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2018
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after
Tuesday, July 17, 2018 Extended to Tuesday, July 31, 2018 Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, http://city.milwaukee.gov/jobs.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St., Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.