DCD ACCOUNTANT LEAD
|Requesting Department||DEPT OF CITY DEVELOPMENT|
|Open Date||7/3/2018 3:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||7/31/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Deidre Steward|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
- Acts as lead accountant for Tax Incremental Districts (TIDs), Business Improvement Districts (BIDs), Neighborhood Improvement Districts (NIDs) and related City activities, including the provision of general accounting entries and maintenance of all TIDs, BIDs, NIDs and related City accounts; provides related interim financial reports. Works with Comptroller’s Office, Treasurer’s Office, Assessor’s Office and Wisconsin Department of Revenue staff to determine and analyze the financial health of the City’s TIDs, BIDs and NIDs.
- Meets all reporting deadlines for Tax Increment District activities, including, Annual Report of Milwaukee’s Tax Incremental Finance Districts, Tax Increment Certification, and TID closure reports.
- Meets all reporting deadlines for Business Improvement and Neighborhood Improvement District activities including, annual review and payment of BID and NID assessments.
- Assists the Comptroller’s Office in the completion of the Tax Increment Districts’ annual audit. Responds to requests for information, as necessary.
- Determines financial liability and submit invoices between the City and RACM to reimburse payroll and operating expenses.
- Takes lead role in the year-end closing of all TIDs, BIDs, and NIDs and related City activities for the Department of City Development accounts and preparation of financial data. Prepares closing journal entries, reviews ledgers, and distributes City account balances to the appropriate ledgers.
- Prepares year-end NIDC and CCRC financial statements; including preparation of work papers, “Prepared by Client” documents, notes, income statement, balance sheet, cash flow statement and Management Discussion and Analysis.
- Takes lead role in the year-end closing of NIDC and CCRC accounting, including preparation of financial data. Prepares closing journal entries; reviews and reconciles ledgers. Provides Accounting Manager with City account balances to the appropriate ledgers.
- Assists the other Accountant Lead in the preparation of the RACM financial statements and audit. Assists in the preparation of work papers, “Prepared by Client” documents, and notes.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited college or university.
- Three years of progressively responsible accounting and financial analysis experience.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
- Governmental, inter-agency and complex financial organization accounting experience.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA).
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of financial reporting and budgeting.
- Knowledge of mathematics and the ability to make accurate calculations.
- Skill in conducting research, analyzing complex issues, and formulating recommendations.
- Ability to prepare financial statements.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret contracts, budgets, financial statements, accounting policies and procedures, corporate documents and audit reports.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate information and ideas in writing such as reports, business correspondence, emails, and procedures manuals.
- Ability to practice active listening by giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, and asking questions as appropriate.
- Ability to speak with others to convey technical and non-technical information clearly and effectively to staff at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to organize work to effectively and efficiently utilize resources to accomplish multiple tasks.
- Ability to meet competing deadlines.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify problems and make sound decisions, including in situations where only limited information is available.
- Ability to work well independently and to function as part of a team.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and work within tight time constraints.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism.
- Ability to proficiently use spreadsheet, database, and word processing software.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with coworkers and citizens whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Honesty, integrity, and professionalism.
The current salary range (Pay Range 2IX) for City of Milwaukee residents is $58,462 - $81,844 annually, and the non-resident salary range is $57,028 - $79,836. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to the approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit http://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2018.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after
Tuesday, July 24, 2018 Extended to Tuesday July, 31 2018. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
APPLICATIONS and further information can be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.