WATER METER TECHNICIAN
|Open Date||11/16/2018 4:15:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/7/2018 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
What Milwaukee can offer YOU
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big-city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities and great restaurants.
- Perform water meter exchanges, installations, and repairs for meters varying in size up to and including 2” in both homes and businesses.
- Install, repair and replace the electronic components of the water meters used in the automated meter reading system.
- Disassemble, clean, repair, test and certify water meters up to 2” in size.
- Assemble, program and verify the operation of electronic components of the automated meter reading system.
- Install emergency hose connections when required.
- Assist the Water Meter Specialist with installation, removal, testing and repair of compound, turbine, mag and fire service meters as directed.
- Respond to and resolve customer complaints of low water pressure, no water, meter tampering and meter leaks.
- Perform water turn-offs for non-compliance with repair or access orders.
- Perform service pipe thawing to restore water service when required.
- Communicate promptly with office staff, Water Control Center, customer service and supervision regarding investigation results, action taken and other information needed to determine the next course of action.
- Complete paperwork including work orders, timesheets and corrective action notices and submit to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Perform inventory control tasks, including the preparation of meters for use in the field.
- Install and inspect equipment/meters for hydrant use permits and verify proper permitting.
- Report any water theft as discovered to supervisors.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be able to climb ladders, enter confined spaces and wear confined space safety equipment.
- Must be able to lift, move or transfer objects weighing up to 50lbs.
- Must be able to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions for extended periods of time.
1. Two years of full-time experience installing, adjusting, repairing and maintaining meters. OR
Two years of full-time plumbing or other mechanical experience.
2. Valid Wisconsin driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Experience performing basic plumbing repairs.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of basic plumbing practices, tools and supplies.
- Knowledge of precision measuring equipment and water hydraulics.
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize basic hand tools to repair mechanical equipment, including wrenches, wedges and hammers.
- Problem-solving skills to assess problems in the field and determine the best course of action.
- Customer service skills required to positively interact with customers in their homes.
- Verbal communication skills to explain technical information to co-workers and customers.
- Interpersonal skills to effectively interact with co-workers and work as a productive team member.
- Ability to disassemble and assemble piping systems, operate hydrants and lifts and connect larger hoses for temporary water service applications.
- Ability to navigate the MWW customer service area, including the cities of Milwaukee, St. Francis, Greenfield and Hales Corners.
- Ability to operate a handheld tablet used for tracking and updating work orders in real time.
- Ability to work independently and to meet or exceed daily scheduled appointments.
- Ability to attend training to maintain skills and knowledge of plumbing systems and codes.
- Ability to remain diplomatic, tactful and courteous with co-workers, customers and the public during adverse situations.
- Ability to perform all work assignments safely.
THE CURRENT STARTING SALARY (Pay Range 7DN) for City of Milwaukee residents is $39,220 annually, and the non-resident starting salary is $38,258.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program which includes:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit http://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2018.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after Friday, December 7, 2019. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
EEO = 702
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.