GRAPHIC DESIGNER II
|Requesting Department||COMMON COUNCIL - CITY CLERK|
|Open Date||5/8/2019 12:35:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||5/29/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Deidre Steward|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
- Prepare and produce visual communications on projects involving print design, web design and other Web-based development activities for Common Council/City Clerk’s Office and other City agencies.
- Develop the concept for logo and identity package design, support public relation functions, events and promotions, and social marketing and media campaigns.
- Design PowerPoint slideshows and marketing collateral including aldermanic newsletters, direct mail, promotional materials, postcards, programs, flyers, invitations, brochures, signs, displays and newspaper advertisements.
- Create original artwork, maps and logos for use on printed material, websites and the City Channel.
- Design materials and coordinate with vendors on a variety of media including web banner ads, digital billboards, newspaper and print ads, bus shelter ads and special promotions.
- Develop the design and coordinate the printing specifications for major printing projects, including the Call for Action booklet and the brochures given to tour groups of City Hall.
- Design professional stationery products and related media, including letterhead, business cards, envelopes and “Keeping in Touch” business reply mail postcards. Develop news releases and other forms as needed for use as digital template files. Create printed media for internal use such as City seal invitations, Official Common Council calendar, departmental phone list, Common Council committee assignment cards and tally cards for meetings.
- Prepare and handle the mass mailings of aldermanic newsletters and postcards, including maintaining mailing lists for each aldermanic district and uploading address files to outside printers, mail fulfillment vendors, and the US Post Office.
- Oversee the production and selection of art, gifts, and recognition items for the Common Council.
Web Design & Social Media
- Develop and design new websites from initial concept through completion, along with coordinating identity packages and all printed materials, for specialized marketing initiatives.
- Utilize social media for promotion of events and services. Create specialized graphics for use as Twitter backgrounds and Facebook images. Incorporate Twitter feeds, Facebook widgets and Google Calendar Application into web pages.
- Provide design for City Clerk’s Office/Common Council and other City web pages using Content Management System. Create page designs for License Division intranet website-LIRA.
- Maintain a CD library of print, web, and photo files.
- Work closely with vendors for print and production outsourcing services.
- Consult with vendors for ordering, scheduling, bidding and specifications of printed jobs.
- Assist other departments and agencies with design and layout for various printed material.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of production techniques and tools.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, graphic arts, marketing, advertising, media relations, or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Two years of experience performing professional graphic design work, including experience managing social media content related to the essential functions outlined above.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
- You must submit the following documents by the application close date. Applications that do not include college transcripts and a digital portfolio of exactly ten images of recent work in PDF format on CD or DVD will be rejected. NOTES: Do not refer to a web link. Do not send originals, as original samples cannot be returned.
- College transcripts, which may be attached to your online application or sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcripts must be legible and include your name, the university name, the degree completed, and the degree completion date.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of graphic arts and design principles.
- Knowledge of marketing and promotion practices.
- Knowledge of graphics for the web, including the use of appropriate file formats.
- Skill in the operation of desktop workstations.
- Familiarity with social media platforms, strategies, and best practices.
- Ability to identify effective design, layout, and formatting of visual communications.
- Skill in using computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
- Experience and comfort with multiple software applications including Adobe Acrobat, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and PowerPoint Ability to develop creative, imaginative, and original ideas.
- Skill in the planning, layout, graphic design, creation, and maintenance of web sites using Content Management System (CMS) and HTML.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with management and staff at all levels.
- Skill in the creation of electronic presentations using PowerPoint and Flash for educational, public service and outreach purposes.
- Ability to read work-related documents, such as government regulations, manuals, and periodicals.
- Oral communication skills as well as the ability to communicate effectively in writing, including basic copywriting and editing.
- Interpersonal skills to be able to interact effectively with elected officials, City managers, and staff; other governmental officials; the news media; and the public.
- Ability to work cooperatively with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to solve problems and use good judgment.
- Organizational and prioritization skills to accomplish work with urgent deadlines; attention to detail.
- Ability to successfully manage multiple concurrent projects, meet strict deadlines, and handle changing priorities.
- Willingness to stay abreast of leading edge technologies and practices in graphic design.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
The current salary range (Pay Range 2BN) for City of Milwaukee residents is $43,733-$52,391 annually, and the non-resident salary range is $42,660-$51,106. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit http://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2019.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after Wednesday, May 29, 2019. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, http://city.milwaukee.gov/jobs.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St., Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.