ENGINEERING TECH IV
|Open Date||7/1/2019 4:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||8/19/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
Note: The eligible list resulting from this examination may be used to fill similar City of Milwaukee positions in the Milwaukee Water Works (MWW) Engineering and/or Distribution division.
What Milwaukee can offer YOU
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
Engineering: Inspect and document work associated with water main replacement and alteration projects to ensure compliance with MWW specifications; conduct fire flow tests to measure and verify water pressures and flow within the distribution system. Inspect water main materials. Perform hydrostatic testing of new water main installations. Perform field investigations to troubleshoot system function anomalies.
Distribution: Inspect and document work associated with lead service line replacement projects to ensure compliance with MWW specifications. Inspect materials required for lead service line replacements. Assist with the following aspects of the lead service replacement program: data entry, project scheduling, customer outreach, and inspection report processing.
- Inspect the installation of water main replacement conducted by contractors to ensure and enforce proper construction methods and MWW specifications.
- Consult with Engineering staff for field alterations, if needed.
- Prepare accurate daily records, including making detailed sketches, written and/or photographic reports of work progress and completed projects.
- Ensure that line and grade points comply with markings on the construction staking.
- Inspect and test water main pipe, valves, hydrants, fittings, and all material used as part of the MWW water distribution system.
- Approve or reject materials based upon specifications and acceptable tolerances.
- Conduct visual inspections, hydrostatic testing, pressure testing, torque testing, weights and measurements.
- Prepare detailed written reports of inspections to document findings.
- Communicate with inventory staff as to the status of materials inspected and tested.
- Communicate material defect findings with vendors and manufacturers as requested by Engineering Management.
- Conduct field investigations to troubleshoot system anomalies such as pressure fluctuations and problems with pumping operations. Install, monitor and report results from pressure recording devices.
- Conduct flow tests of hydrants to establish hydraulic analyses and studies, and to determine system robustness. Document the results and provide information to insurance companies on fire flow tests, as requested.
- Conduct thorough inspection and provide detailed documentation of lead service line replacement projects to completion.
- Enforce proper construction methods and MWW specifications.
- Consult with Distribution Managers for field alterations, if needed.
- Document bid quantities for payment processing.
- Assist with administration of the lead service line replacement program:
- process inspection reports and bid quantities for payment,
- enter project data into computer software systems,
- coordinate and schedule project with property owner, tenant and contractor to completion.
- Ensure MWW specified and inspected materials are properly handled and installed.
- Ensure proper excavation, safety, and traffic control procedures are implemented and followed.
- Provide information to and field questions from contractors, City staff, and the public regarding the status of projects; receive complaints, and recommend solutions or obtain direction from Engineering for resolution.
- Provide customer outreach and communications for those affected by the construction activities and ensure the contractor provides adequate clean-up of the site when finished.
- Oversee the overall project in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Conduct inspection of emergency leak repairs by contractors as needed.
- Document contractor activities, assist with repair materials and complete work orders and requisitions.
- Maintain communication with Control Center regarding the status of the job.
- Consult with Distribution Management regarding contractor difficulties or complications.
- Document job details and provide to section management.
- Assist with distribution system leak survey program.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be able to climb ladders, enter confined spaces and wear confined space safety equipment.
- Must be able to lift and handle 50 pounds or more of equipment or material.
- Must be able to wear appropriate safety equipment including safety shoes, glasses, and hearing protection.
- Ability to remain standing for long periods of time.
- Must be able to work mandatory overtime and respond to emergency call-outs when needed.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions for extended periods of time.
1. An Associate’s Degree in Civil Engineering or Engineering field and two years of related engineering or construction experience performing duties similar to the essential functions listed above.
Four years of related engineering or construction experience performing duties similar to the essential functions listed above.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Your transcript must be legible and include the following information: the university or college name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date the degree was completed. Student copies are acceptable.
2. Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
- State of Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Distribution Operator’s License D-1.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of construction methods and techniques.
- Proficiency with computers and computer software including Microsoft Office; knowledge of Microstation and ESRI is desirable.
- Written communication skills, including the ability to write technical reports and general business correspondence.
- Planning, organizational, and time management skills, including the ability to prioritize work with varying deadlines.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills, including the ability to use and analyze information to evaluate options and to find the best solution.
- Interpersonal and customer service skills, including the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse individuals inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to produce accurate, daily inspection reports, detailed plans, drawings, maps and diagrams using CAD/GIS software.
- Ability to act as the primary on-site coordinator for water main construction projects.
- Ability to read and interpret construction drawings, technical drawings and specifications.
- Ability to use proper tools to measure, estimate and verify construction project specifications.
The current starting annual salary (PG 3NN) is $45,185. The City of Milwaukee resident incentive is $46,541 annually. Appointment will be made in accordance with the provision of the salary ordinance.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit http://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2019
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after the deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.