SYSTEMS SECURITY ADMINISTRATOR
|Requesting Department||Milwaukee Police Department|
|Open Date||7/26/2019 08:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||9/9/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Marti Cargile|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
Strategy and Planning:
- Participate as a member of the senior management team administering governance processes of the organization’s security strategies.
- Lead strategic security planning to achieve business goals by prioritizing defense initiatives and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, and management of current and future security technologies.
- Develop and communicate security strategies and plans to executive team, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders.
- Assist with the design and implementation of disaster recovery and business continuity plans, procedures, audits, and enhancements.
- Develop, implement, maintain, and oversee enforcement of policies, procedures, and associated plans for system security administration and the user system, access based on industry standard best practices.
Acquisition and Deployment:
- Define and communicate departmental plans procedures, policies, and standards for acquiring, implementing, and operating new security systems, equipment, software, and other technologies.
- Act as advocate and primary liaison for the department’s security vision via regular communications with the department’s executives, department heads, and end-users.
- Work closely with the IT division on departmental technology development to fully secure information, computer, network, and processing systems.
- Manage the administration of computer security systems, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, cryptography systems, and anti-virus software.
- Manage the administration of the facility’s security systems, including fire alarms, locks, intruder detection systems, sprinkler systems, and anti-theft measures.
- Develop, track, and control the security services annual operating and capital budgets for purchasing, staffing, and operations.
- Ensure that facilities, premises, and equipment adhere to applicable laws and regulations; recommend and implement changes in security policies and practices consistent with changes in local or federal law.
- Creatively and independently provide resolution to security problems in a cost-effective manner.
- Assess and communicate security risks associated with purchases or practices executed by MPD.
- Collaborate with the MPD IT Director and the human resources department to establish and maintain a system for ensuring that security and privacy policies are met.
- Promote and oversee strategic security relationships between internal resources and external entities including government, vendors, and partner organizations.
- Keep informed regarding trends, issues, current and emerging technologies, and pricing in the security industry; keep senior management apprised regarding their importance and financial impact.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Must serve on call and work beyond normal business hours as needed to meet deadlines.
- Must have the physical ability to lift and move up to 10 lbs. occasionally as well as to bend, crouch, kneel, reach, and sit or stand for extended periods; must have manual dexterity to operate computer equipment.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Four years of experience in information technology, including one year performing management functions related to IT security.
- Valid Wisconsin Driver’s License required at the time of appointment and throughout employment and availability of a properly insured vehicle for use on the job (mileage reimbursement provided).
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. College transcripts should be attached to your online application. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcripts must be legible and include your name, the university name, the degree completed, and the degree completion date.
- Master’s degree in information technology or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) certification.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of principles and methods for planning, organizing, and developing IT security and facility security system technologies.
- Knowledge of the process of planning and executing security policies and standards development.
- Knowledge of technology environments, including information security, building security, and defense solutions.
- Knowledge of the characteristics, features, and integration capabilities of computer systems.
- Knowledge of business theory, business processes, management, budgeting, and business office operations.
- Knowledge of data processing, hardware platforms, enterprise software applications, and outsourced systems.
- Knowledge of systems design and development from business requirements analysis to day-to-day management.
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations as they relate to security.
Leadership, Interpersonal, and Customer Service Skills:
- Knowledge of management principles; ability to exercise leadership and provide guidance and motivation for programmers and developers pertaining to IT security.
- Interpersonal, customer service, and negotiating skills to be able to build and maintain rapport with sworn and non-sworn staff, City managers, elected officials, vendors, and consultants.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team-oriented, collaborative environment with people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to read and interpret a wide range of complex documents, from policies to technical documents.
- Written communication skills, including the ability to write correspondence, reports, technical documentation, and policies and procedures.
- Oral communication, presentation, and training skills to effectively share information with individuals of all ability levels.
Critical Thinking and Planning Skills:
- Ability to apply information technology to solve complex security problems.
- Decision-making skills and sound judgment to aid in choosing appropriate courses of action.
- Research skills to be able to study IT issues and make recommendations.
- Organizational skills to be able to plan and accomplish work, manage multiple assignments, and meet deadlines.
- Project management knowledge and skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Ability to understand and develop organizational goals and objectives.
- Self-directed and self-motivated.
- Ability to exhibit exemplary professionalism and represent the department honestly and ethically.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and safeguard City resources.
- Commitment to professional development and staying informed of IT security trends.
The current salary range (2IX) is $58,462-$81,844, and the resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $60,216-$84,300. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/Benefits2019#.XBrIQE2ot6A.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations and the Milwaukee Police Department reserve the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after Friday, August 16, 2019. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
* NOTE: Candidates must pass a Milwaukee Police Department background investigation before hire. *
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, http://city.milwaukee.gov/jobs.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St., Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.