PERSONNEL PAYROLL ASSISTANT III
|Requesting Department||DPW - ADMINISTRATION|
|Open Date||10/24/2019 5:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||11/8/2019 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Nola Nelson|
** THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO CURRENT CITY OF MILWAUKEE EMPLOYEES ONLY**
The Personnel Payroll Assistant III supports the human resource functions of the Department of Public Works (DPW), including efficient onboarding of new hires to the Department, and performs efficient and accurate processing of payroll, including time entry, payroll processing and payroll/personnel reporting.
- Process payroll and time-entry for an employee group within DPW.
- Maintain employee personnel records, absences, and leave balances.
- Process and maintain supporting documentation.
- Audit payroll and payroll-related reports for accuracy.
- Generate various payroll reports for managers, departments and agencies.
- Prepare payroll and human resource documents.
- Enter, review, edit and approve time using the City’s online time entry system.
- Process special pay, and calculate retroactive adjustments.
- Prepare payroll hours, salary dollars and benefits adjustments.
- Track employee personnel/payroll/benefits records using Human Capital Management (HCM) software.
- Provide orientation and onboarding support to new employees; and timecard processing and employee benefits support to current DPW employees.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
- Regular status as City of Milwaukee employee, having successfully completed a probationary period for a civil service position.
- Four years of progressively responsible office support experience, including one year performing personnel or payroll assistant duties.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may also be considered. Related post-secondary education will be considered for a portion of the experience requirement; however, there is no substitute of the one year of performing personnel or payroll assistant duties.
NOTE: To receive credit for college, transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcripts must be legible and include your name, the university or college name, the degree completed, and the date the degree was completed.
- Knowledge of Oracle’s PeopleSoft system.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of payroll and federal compliance requirements for City employees.
- Knowledge of payroll processes, Oracle’s PeopleSoft system and the City of Milwaukee’s time entry system to perform transactions.
- Knowledge of customer service best practices and the ability to incorporate them into operations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to read, interpret and explain benefits, payroll deductions and leave policies, procedures and forms.
- Ability to perform accurate data entry and mathematical calculations.
- Interpersonal skills to be able to work effectively and cooperatively with individuals at all levels inside and outside the DPW, including individuals whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to work well independently and as a team member.
- Proficiency using standard applications such as Microsoft Office to create documents, use spreadsheets, create charts, and generate reports.
- Ability to perform work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to think critically and analytically.
- Ability to work with sensitive information.
- Ability to effectively organize and complete work assignments with regular deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and tight time constraints.
- Ability to perform work honestly and with sensitivity, to maintain confidentiality, and to safeguard City resources.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of related education, experience and accomplishments, written tests, interview, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations and the Department of Public Works (Administration) reserve the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral, performance tests or personal interviews. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision. Selected candidates will be transferred and/or promoted to the position.
Note: Transfer/Promotional Opportunities and Promotional Examinations are not open to Milwaukee Public Schools employees or to the public. Only current City of Milwaukee employees and civilian personnel in MFD and MPD hired through a City Service Commission process who have successfully passed a probationary period for a Civil Service position will be considered. Individuals with exempt, provisional, temporary, or emergency appointments are not eligible for transfer.
APPLICATIONS and further information can be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.