IT SUPPORT SPECIALIST
|Open Date||8/27/2020 5:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/18/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Marti Cargile|
The Milwaukee Public Library (MPL) is committed to providing the highest quality of services to internal and external customers. In meeting this commitment, employees are expected to be knowledgeable, competent, dependable and courteous in the performance of their job responsibilities and to work cooperatively as part of a team.
- Solve routine hardware and software problems. Advise users as to how to solve problems or use remote access software to correct workstation malfunctions.
- Communicate Library IT policies to internal customers.
- Schedule delivery and installation of new or replacement computers and printers; assist with onsite installation and disk imaging.
- Assist Library Network Manager and Network Analyst Senior with special network projects and upgrades in the field.
- Maintain copies of documentation, and route to staff to assist with training and problem resolution.
- Schedule warranty repairs of computers, printers, and library automated equipment.
- Assist with receiving, logging, tracking, and forwarding user issues and enhancement requests.
- Travel to branch library locations and work with third party vendors to maintain and support RFID self-checkout kiosks, security gates, and other equipment.
- Assist with wireless network troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Support fleet of desktop computers, laptop computers, and other mobile devices.
- Provide support for library security cameras, hardware, and software.
- Provide maintenance and support for library automated handling units.
- Physically move and replace computers, monitors, and printers.
- Configure and maintain library digital signage hardware.
- Monitor network system backup reports and print queue operations.
- Configure and maintain edge switching hardware.
- Participate in systemwide teams, and assist with implementing long-range technology strategies.
- Follow safe work procedures and accident prevention practices.
- Assist with gathering systemwide equipment and wireless usage statistics and metrics.
- Participate in continuing IT education.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- The IT Support Specialist must be able to perform medium physical work, such as bending, crouching, and lifting and moving objects up to 10 pounds daily, up to 20 pounds frequently, and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Based upon each department's responses to the COVID-19 pandemic and the needs of each department, employees may be expected to work from home intermittently or continuously.
- Associate degree in information technology, computer science, or closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- One year of experience performing network administration and/or applications support.
- Valid Driver’s License at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered. For example, three years of experience as described under #2, above, is considered equivalent.
- CompTIA A+ Certification.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Technical knowledge of computer hardware and software, networks, operating systems, peripherals, wireless PCs and laptops, and standard computer applications such as the Microsoft suite.
- General knowledge of computer concepts such as security, cloud technologies, and data management.
- Help desk skills, including the ability to logically analyze computer issues, perform troubleshooting, and make recommendations via phone, remote access software, and in person.
Interpersonal and Communication Skills:
- Customer service skills, patience, and a commitment to helping end users with varying levels of technology experience to resolve issues.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively, effectively, and fairly with supervisors, fellow staff, and the public in a large public library system, including people whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to read and interpret work-related documents.
- Written communication skills to be able to compose clear documentation and job aids.
- Oral communications skills to be able to effectively share information with staff, patrons, and vendors.
Management of Resources:
- Planning skills to be able to accomplish work under deadline; flexibility to adjust priorities as needed.
- Organizational skills in order to maintain accurate documentation.
- Honesty, integrity, and responsible usage of organizational resources.
- Ability to perform work in a safe manner and situational awareness.
The current salary range (PR 2EN) is $50,716-$63,426 annually, and the current resident incentive salary range for City of Milwaukee residents is $52,238-$65,329. Appointment above the minimum is possible based upon level of experience and other qualifications and is subject to approval.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2020. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Supplemental Questionnaire and Application NOW using the Internet.|