ENGINEERING DRAFTING TECHNICIAN V
|Open Date||4/30/2020 08:50:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||5/21/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
THIS POSITION IS FOR CURRENT CITY OF MILWAUKEE EMPLOYEES ONLY.
Transfer/Promotional Opportunities and Promotional Examinations are not open to Milwaukee Public Schools employees or to the public. Only current non-probationary City of Milwaukee employees and civilian personnel in MFD and MPD hired through a City Service Commission process will be considered. Individuals with exempt, provisional, temporary or emergency appointments are not eligible for transfer.
- Prioritize, assign, coordinate and review sewer drafting work with the Engineering Technician II and Engineering Technician IV.
- Modify software databases and programs for sewers.
- Review and communicate with utilities in regard to locations, permits and WisDOT Trans220/DT1077 forms.
- Maintain quarter sections and plat pages.
- Prepare right-of-way projects including openings, right-of-way vacations and easements.
- Conduct investigations and prepares responses to aldermanic and citizen complaints.
- Maintain as-built plans for sewers.
- Oversee Diggers Hotline requests, printing operation and storeroom.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Regular status as a City of Milwaukee employee, having successfully completed a probationary period for a civil service position.
- Five years of civil engineering drafting experience, with at least one year at the level of an Engineering Drafting Technician IV or Engineering Technician IV performing essential functions related to this position.
- Valid driver’s license at time of appointment and throughout employment.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered. For example, college-level engineering curriculum courses, for which a “C” was earned, may be substituted for up to three years of the required engineering drafting experience. Education cannot be substituted for the one year of Engineering Drafting Technician IV or Engineering Technician IV experience requirement listed above.
IMPORTANT NOTE: In order for college to be considered, college transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of mathematical calculations used for drafting.
- Ability to prepare drawings for various types of construction projects.
- Skill in updating and maintaining engineering records, engineering databases, and plat pages.
- Analytical and problem solving skills in order to handle issues that arise within the team and complaints received from elected officials and the public.
- Time management skills in order to work on multiple projects with varying deadlines.
- Ability to use computer aided drafting software and equipment and network file management systems.
- Ability to read City maps and understand legal descriptions.
- Knowledge of street and alley design criteria.
- Knowledge of estimating and assessment policy.
- Written communication skills to prepare business correspondence relating to design reviews.
- Ability to use computer software programs such as word processing, spreadsheet and database.
- Data entry skills to maintain and edit databases of project related quantities.
- Ability to use design software such as MicroStation or AutoCAD and ArcGIS.
- Ability to produce accurate, detailed plans, drawings, maps and diagrams.
- Ability to read and interpret technical documents. Interpersonal and customer service skills to work effectively with internal and external customers.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse, team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with coworkers and citizens whose backgrounds may differ from one’s own.
- Ability to lead, direct and train other technicians.
- Attention to detail and the ability to concentrate on assignments and disregard distractions.
- Ability to learn new technologies and stay current in this field.
- Ability to prioritize and delegate work.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of related education, experience and accomplishments, written tests, interview, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations and the Department of Public Works reserve the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral or performance tests or personal interviews. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision. Selected candidates will be transferred and/or promoted to the position.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The selection process will be held as soon as practical after the application deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the selection process at the time and place designated by the Department of Employee Relations and/or the hiring authority.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting www.jobaps.com/MIL.
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above. If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or email@example.com.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located in City Hall, 200 E Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.