OFFICE ASSISTANT III
|Requesting Department||DER - OPERATIONS DIVISION|
|Open Date||9/1/2020 3:30:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/22/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Deidre Steward|
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities, and great restaurants.
- Answer telephone calls at the front desk.
- Answer questions and/or route calls to the appropriate departmental area.
- Use a multi-line telephone system to place calls on hold, transfer calls, and set up conference calls.
- Call intra and interdepartmental staff members to find answers to inquiries.
- Assist walk-in visitors such as job-seekers, mail carriers, meeting attendees, interviewees, current employees and more.
- Explain and assist walk-ins with the online application process.
Administrative Support Duties
- Scan documentation for U.S. Employment Eligibility Verification forms ( I-9s) on to a flash drive as new employees arrive, file temporary employee folders, collect and sort mail, monitor the personnel action form e-mail, process and file personnel action forms, coordinate necessities for new DER employees (i.e. name plates, badges, network access and e-mail accounts.
- Compile and mail self-service passwords to new employees.
- Participate in administering and tracking pre-placement activities.
- Provide general administrative support to the DER Staffing Division.
Employee Folders Management
- Create and label new employee folders; fill the folders with the “OK to hire”, job application, pension form, and other documents collected during New Employee Orientation.
- Maintain filing system of current and past employee files, including filing folders in active filing cabinets and moving inactive folders to inactive filing cabinets.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Based upon each department’s responses to the COVID-19 pandemic and the needs of each department, employees may be expected to work from home intermittently or continuously.
- Two years of office support experience coordinating and working on a variety of clerical assignments related to the essential functions listed above.
Equivalent combinations of education, training and experience may also be considered.
IMPORTANT NOTE: College transcripts are required and must be received by the application period closing date. Transcripts should be attached to your online application. Applications without transcripts attached will be considered incomplete and will be rejected. Student/unofficial copies are acceptable; however, your transcript must be legible and include your college/university name, your name, the degree completed (if applicable) and the date completed.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of providing outstanding customer service to individuals of all backgrounds.
- Ability to consistently handle a high volume of telephone calls and customer inquiries.
- Ability to listen well and work harmoniously in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate verbally with culturally diverse individuals at all levels within and outside the organization.
- Ability to remain calm and professional when serving upset customers in person and over the phone.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced setting.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows, word processing, and spreadsheet software to be able to produce documents.
- Ability to learn proprietary software programs.
- Keyboarding and data entry skills.
- Ability to accurately maintain numerical and alphabetical filing systems.
- Ability to use office equipment such as scanners, copiers, fax machines, and telephones.
- Ability to read work-related documents such as job announcements and policies and procedures.
- Ability to pay attention to detail.
- Ability to interact with the public with tact and diplomacy.
- Honesty, integrity and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to understand and appropriately provide services in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Ability to work effectively and positively with co-workers and City employees.
- Ability to remain professional at all times.
THE CURRENT STARTING SALARY (PAY RANGE 6FN) is $34,717 annually, and the resident incentive salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $35,758 annually. Appointment will be made in accordance with the provisions of the salary ordinance.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: education and experience evaluation; written, oral, or performance tests, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral and performance examinations. Oral examinations may include written exercises. Selection process component weights will be determined by further analysis of the job.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after Tuesday, September 22, 2020 . Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
- APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, http://city.milwaukee.gov/jobs.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St., Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Click on a link below to apply for this position:
|Fill out the Application NOW using the Internet.|