WATER DISTRIBUTION REPAIR WORKER I
|Open Date||9/16/2020 2:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||10/16/2020 11:59:00 PM|
|HR Analyst||Jeff Harvey|
What Milwaukee can offer YOU
Located on the western shore of Lake Michigan, Milwaukee is an urban hub bursting with energy. Milwaukee provides a casual sophistication – big city appeal without the big-city hassles. We are accessible and affordable, and our residents are welcoming. Milwaukee has evolved through the years, bringing together its unsurpassed old world charm with a breathtaking Art Museum, top-flight arts and cultural attractions, professional sports, lakefront festivals, recreational opportunities and great restaurants.
- Repair, maintain, and install water mains, pipe joints, valves, services, and branches while maintaining the quality of the water.
- Perform hydrant repairs for various models in the water distribution system.
- Coordinate activities with contractors conducting water main relay projects by operating valves, testing water shut off and notifying customers of water outages.
- Perform preventive maintenance duties, including exercising valves, testing hydrants, making rehabilitation repairs, locating and marking appurtenances, accessing box alignments, and locating leaks.
- Operate various types of construction equipment, including tri-axle dump trucks with trailers, backhoe/end loaders with concrete busters, air compressors and hammers, utility vans or trucks, drill-rig trucks, and any other equipment assigned to a specific project.
- Operate various pneumatic and hand tools for completing repairs.
Reasonable accommodations requested by qualified individuals with disabilities will be made in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008.
Conditions of Employment
- Ability work outdoors in all types of weather conditions, at all hours, and throughout the entire Milwaukee Water Works service area, including St. Francis, Greenfield and Hales Corners.
- Must respond promptly to mandatory call outs to conduct emergency repair assignments; must work for extended hours beyond the normal work shift as needed to meet the needs of the utility.
- The person in this position may be assigned to work either first or second shift and is required to work Saturday and Sunday on a rotating basis during winter, as scheduled or as assigned.
- Ability to transfer and move objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to enter manholes and excavations and climb ladders.
- One year of full-time experience performing heavy construction such as utility installation, building foundation installation, road construction, plumbing, steam fitting or landscaping (i.e. hard scape installation or sprinkler installation and maintenance).
- A valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class B without air brake restrictions, within six months of appointment and throughout employment.
- Certified as a Competent Person in excavation safety in accordance with OSHA standards within six months of appointment and throughout employment.
- Backhoe or front-end loader operation experience.
- State of Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources operators certification for Distribution Systems Operations.
- Wisconsin CDL N endorsement (tanker).
- Water distribution system piping and appurtenances repair and maintenance experience.
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities & Other Characteristics
- Knowledge of underground construction practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of construction safety principles and practices.
- Ability to learn and identify various hydrant models.
- Interpersonal and customer service skills; ability to represent the Milwaukee Water Works positively and to interact with customers in a tactful and professional matter.
- Ability to use job-related hand tools and pneumatic tools.
- Ability to operate construction vehicles and equipment.
- Ability to function as part of a work team.
- Ability to complete required forms clearly, accurately, and completely.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations to determine materials needed and how to make cuts to complete jobs.
- Ability to understand basic mechanical aptitude concepts and basic plumbing.
Water Distribution Repair Worker I
The current starting salary rate (PR 8FN) is $38,350 annually, and the resident incentive starting salary for City of Milwaukee residents is $39,501.
The City of Milwaukee provides a comprehensive benefit program that includes the following:
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- 457 Deferred Compensation Plan
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Comprehensive Wellness Program
- Onsite Clinic Services
- Onsite Employee Assistance Program
- Alternative Work Schedules
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Group Life Insurance
- Tuition Benefits
- Paid Vacation
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave and other paid leaves
- Flexible Spending Arrangement
- Commuter Value Pass
For full details of the benefits offered by the City of Milwaukee, please visit https://city.milwaukee.gov/der/benefits.
THE SELECTION PROCESS will be job related and will consist of one or more of the following: an evaluation of related education, experience and accomplishments, written tests, interview, or other assessment methods. The Department of Employee Relations reserves the right to call only the most qualified candidates to oral, performance tests or personal interviews. Information from the selection process will be used to make a hiring decision. Selected candidates will be transferred and/or promoted to the position.
INITIAL FILING DATE - The examination will be held as soon as practical after the deadline listed above. Receipt of applications may be discontinued at any time after this date without prior notice. However, recruitment may continue until the needs of the City have been met. Qualified applicants will be notified of the date, time, and place of the examination. Unless otherwise required by law, the City of Milwaukee will not provide alternative test administration. The applicant is responsible for attending all phases of the job selection process at the time and place designated by the City of Milwaukee.
APPLICATIONS and further information may be accessed by visiting, http://city.milwaukee.gov/jobs
- Applications and transcripts should be submitted no later than the deadline listed above.
- If you would like assistance completing an application, please contact the Department of Employee Relations at (414) 286-3751 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Department of Employee Relations is located at City Hall, 200 E. Wells St, Room 706, Milwaukee, WI 53202.
The City of Milwaukee values and encourages diversity and is an equal opportunity employer